• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1921 Peace dollar. high relief or not? -UPDATED W/PICS

18 posts in this topic

Hey guys, Im looking at a 1921 Peace, seems about as nice as any I have ever seen. It is in a PCGS holder, latest blue label, and it doesn't have a label that says "high relief". When I was looking at auction archives, I noticed that some do and some don't, I would even go as far to say that the difference in prices were significant. That said, this one I am looking at is as high relief looking as any I have seen... It is solid struck as any ive seen also. just an amazing coin. Can anyone give me 411 on high relief versus.... not high relief?

Thanks in advance.

I will post pics asap, although the pics I have aren't that great.

I was initially under the impression that all 1921 Peace dollars were high relief, but when I started looking at HA archives, I noticed that some holders say "high relief" others do not. From what I could see, it didn't have anything to do with the actual holder and was more just seemingly random. Then I noticed that it could be perceived that the holders that noted "high relief" seemed to fetch more money. Which I understand could have nothing to do with the "label' and everything to do with the coins, I just got to wondering.

does anyone know why some 1921 Peace dollars will say high relief, and others will not whether they are PCGS or NGC.? Lets assume im talking about MS grades.

Then I noticed that it could be perceived that the holders that noted "high relief" seemed to fetch more money. Which I understand could have nothing to do with the "label' and everything to do with the coins, I just got to wondering.

All 21 Peace dollars are high relief. The coins bringing more money most likely has EVERYTHING to do with the label and nothing to do with the coin. There are a lot of people out there buying who really don't know about the coins and depend completely on what the label says. Soe say high relief and some don't so they think the "high relief" ones must be special and they pay more for them when they are really all the same.

I have a NGC edge view holder and the label says "High Relief". Not sure when they stopped.

Do we know that they stopped? Perhaps it's a matter of when they started, not stopped.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC began putting High Relief on the labels of 1921 Peace Dollars about two years ago. All are high relief, and those lacking this statement were simply holdered prior to that time.

I have a NGC edge view holder and the label says "High Relief". Not sure when they stopped.

Do we know that they stopped? Perhaps it's a matter of when they started, not stopped.

Good point. I was commenting more on a previous post.

And now according to a later post, it really is "when they started".

...Just curious. Were the slabbed coins with the high relief description requested and therefore cost more to holder? hm

No, not based on the post to this thread by Mr. Lange.

I suspect the 1921s were commonly given the designation "high relief" because the subsequent issue was all "low relief" and some sort of descriptive differentiation was helpful to neophyte collectors.

With wider knowledge about the 1922 pattern and experimental high relief and medium relief coins, a consistent use of descriptive terms is probably desirable.

Just a thought....