• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who has the best forum software?

22 posts in this topic

Of the three that I visit, NGC, PCGS and Cointalk, for me they go:

1. Cointalk

2. NGC

5. PCGS

No offense to our host or to PCGS but the PCGS board is archaic at best and recently just finding out how useful and awesome the CT board software is.

Anyhow, just wondering how you guys feel.

Never tried CoinTalk. PCGS's software is quite old, but the presentation is nice and compact. NGC requires more scrolling to read the same number of messages, but I haven't noticed odd behavior from the software. The VAMWorld forum is built into Wikispaces, and Wikispaces' forum software is nowhere near as nice as PCGS's or NGC's. You can't edit or preview posts, and searching is quite primitive. CCF can be hard on the eyes and is not the easiest to navigate, but seems functionally solid. Considering what I pay to use them all, however, I can't complain too much.

Like John, I hate the limitations of VW. Just posting a simple photo in a conversation requires major surgery.

CT, before the big change in protocol, used to be nice, but features like the personal albums and photo archives were eliminated. More and more, it seems that people want to know if they've hit the mother lode with their road rash. It's getting very boring.

Chris

1) CoinTalk: I like the "like" a post feature, don't like they don't have a "top" feature on the individual posts. Must always scroll to the top or bottom to go back the main forum page

2) NGC

3) PCGS: it's more compact, but it's very difficult to read.

I only post on the NGC and PCGS sites. Between the two the NGC site is far easier to use and has far fewer glitches. When I am creating a message that I want to post on both sites, I always do it here first.

1) CoinTalk: I like the "like" a post feature, don't like they don't have a "top" feature on the individual posts. Must always scroll to the top or bottom to go back the main forum page

Never had a problem with that. Wouldn't a "top" button just take you back to the start of whatever thread you are in? I just use the "Back" button. If you are several pages into a thread just right click the Back button and then you can select the sub-forum or main forum from there. No scrolling up or down needed

One think I really like about the CT boards are that when you post a message it doesn't take you three back clicks to get back to the main page. All it takes is one. It's just easier to use. And I too enjoy the "Like" button. I don't know how many times I've considered saying nice coin or something similar and didn't just because I didn't want to disrupt the flow of the thread.

I found an app that adds more clicks to my computer, so I don't have to worry about using them all. I also bought more vowels and ellipses. For my camera I got a memory card filled with brand new pixels to replace the ones I've used.

I found an app that adds more clicks to my computer, so I don't have to worry about using them all. I also bought more vowels and ellipses. For my camera I got a memory card filled with brand new pixels to replace the ones I've used.

Roger,

I think you should delay publication of that new book.............How to Make Friends and Alienate Comedians

:tonofbricks:C:tonofbricks:H:tonofbricks:R:tonofbricks:I:tonofbricks:S:tonofbricks:

Well, Vanna delivered the vowels her very own li'l self....

As for message board SW, as long as it operates smoothly, does not ask me to debug it, keeps messages in order, and allows easy historical searches, it's OK. I tend to be adverse to lots of features that are barely used and just clutter the code.

Hmmm...kind of like the Tax Code....

Well, Vanna delivered the vowels her very own li'l self....

As for message board SW, as long as it operates smoothly, does not ask me to debug it, keeps messages in order, and allows easy historical searches, it's OK. I tend to be adverse to lots of features that are barely used and just clutter the code.

Hmmm...kind of like the Tax Code....

+1

I will say that one thing I do not like about the CT board that I truly appreciate here is the PM function. PCGS hides history and you have to click an extra button but then again they do have the search by user name. That's kinda nice.

The greatest and most glaring weakness of the NGC forum is after two years the posts are no longer accessible. We are losing enormous amounts of valuable information painstakingly provided by expert numismatists because of short-sightedness. Can the situation be potentially remedied, or are all those gems and nuggets of discussion already discarded irretrievably? Were the archives trashed?

I did a search recently about SMS coins that found posts all the way back to 2003 so I don't think that's an issue tbh.

I'm unable to do that, just tried a dozen different searches, please provide instructions.

It takes getting used to but the best software splits threads into sub-topics. Even the dullest threads can have interesting sub-topics and the livliest can have boring ones. It also allows posters to respond in a more timely manner because there won't be so many posts that are irrelevant to the specific topic within a thread.

The software here is pretty good except long posts are difficult since I can't edit except after the fact. My computer bogs down when the cursor isn't at the end of the typed text.

Never had a problem with that. Wouldn't a "top" button just take you back to the start of whatever thread you are in? I just use the "Back" button. If you are several pages into a thread just right click the Back button and then you can select the sub-forum or main forum from there. No scrolling up or down needed

Agree Conder, but there are instances when I just want to go to the top of the page rather than "back" which will take me to the previous page. I am aware of the "right click" on the back button. I use it all the time when browsing auction sites.

It's more a convenience factor and how I like to navigate around the forums.

Have you tried ctrl+Home I think that might take you back to the top of the page. I haven't tried it because scrolling up to the top of the page isn't that much of a big deal to me, but it might work.

Have you tried ctrl+Home I think that might take you back to the top of the page. I haven't tried it because scrolling up to the top of the page isn't that much of a big deal to me, but it might work.

No haven't tried it. That would be even more difficult than simply scrolling. Up at the top right of the CT screen is the Alerts tab. I like to use it to see when people have responded to something I'm either following or participating in.

Don't get me wrong, scrolling, whether with the mouse wheel or using the scroll bar on the right side of the screen is not difficult. I just thought adding a "top" button to each post would be a nice addition.

After numerous attempts over 3 days, with various different parameters, I am unable to search here beyond two years as you claimed. Are you confusing NGC and PCGS?

I did a search recently about SMS coins that found posts all the way back to 2003 so I don't think that's an issue tbh.

After numerous attempts over 3 days, with various different parameters, I am unable to search here beyond two years as you claimed. Are you confusing NGC and PCGS?

You can search further back than 2 years, but you can only search any 2-year span at one time............2003-2005, 2006-2008, etc.

Chris

Got it now, many thanks, nobody ever explained it previously.

You can search further back than 2 years, but you can only search any 2-year span at one time............2003-2005, 2006-2008, etc.

Chris