• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper spots on gold

62 posts in this topic

Even asked NCIS.

I've gotten replies, but none included or offered anything except there usual "they said this or that..." Seems like excuses for not doing the work and documenting the results. Is the term "copper spot" purely descriptive or is there some chemical meaning behind it? Is it another name for iron oxide as is often found on ocean treasure coins and ones, like the Saddle Ridge find, that were in steel cans?

I want to use the correct descriptive term when I write about coins -- not some malarkey.

The biggest losses - to me - are in the aesthetics of designs and the final coin presentation. Modern minting results in mushy coins - and that comes from the complete reliance on mechanical reductions -- and now on computer reductions. The first big "mess" was the Peace dollar.....muddy, fuzzy, indistinct product was accepted as "satisfactory" and it went down from there. No modern coin has had the character and detail since then.

The obverse details of a US Silver Eagle are considerably sharper than the original 1916 Walking Liberty half dollar.

The real problem is that modern (US Mint) coin designs are reviewed and approved in pencil sketch form, not in 3-D sculpted form as they should be.

But there are still plenty of modern coins that have sharp details and nice designs. Even some US Mint ones.

columbus_half_rev.jpg

sr3_b.jpg

code_talker.jpg

una_20a_2012_pr.jpg

ble_2013_ss.jpg

c_0011BP_384.JPG

HTPYR_2013_BS.jpg