• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seeking your help with Maximilian Pesos

9 posts in this topic

Hello All

I am attempting to catalog die varieties of Mexican Imperial Pesos from Maximilian's very short reign. I have searched various auction websites, independent dealers sites, etc in this effort. To my knowledge there is yet to be seen any reference that has achieved this. If I am wrong I would be more than happy to be corrected. Anyhow, I am asking, from all who wish to share them, pictures of your Max pesos. I am hoping the more I can study the more conclusions I can draw. This is just my modest attempt to give some light on the subject. Any help is indeed welcomed and appreciated. Pictures of the reeding would also be beneficial.

Mike

That is a very nice example. I have become somewhat obseseed with trying to attribute these coins. For only a run of two years I have observed several different die states as well as some general differences. I would be interested to hear some of the things you have discovered.

Mike

There's a book called, not illogically, A Guide Book of Mexican Coins 1822-present. I presume you already have a copy and didn't find the necessary information. If not, I just ordered one, having discovered one that was too cheap to pass up (it was on my want list anyway, mostly for Republica Mexicana stuff with all those mint marks), and will be glad to look at that section and offer opinions when it arrives.

Long time since I was in Port Orchard; got as far as Poulsbo awhile back.

JKK

I would be very interested to see what the book shows. I am a member of the United States Mexican Numismatic Association and have corresponded with many respectable and leading people in this area and they all have said there is no known publication that attributes these pesos with the exception of the gold 20 pesos.

Poulsbo is nice, I don't get down there too often though. If you are in Portland the ANA is having the National Money show there in March.

Gallienus

The most obvious difference that I continue to note is the Serif on the first E in Imperio, on both years, is fully connected to the base of the E on some, and not connected on others. I use that as my first attribution. I also have noticed many of the pesos have lines perpendicular to the reeding on the reeds themselves. Not all the way around and normally on the reeding above Maximilians head. Also, I have an 1866 Mo that clearly is double died on the obverse, letters only, and there are several certified examples that match. I am sure interested in hearing your observations. My goal is to write an article and share it here and with the USMNA. www.usmex.org

Take Care!

Mike

They're probably right, then. I am quite certain that they and you know a lot more about Mexican coinage than I do. The book has shipped, though, and I should have it soon. Then we'll see for certain. I wanted it anyway just for my own reference.

Not in Portland yet, but headed that direction before summer. Still stuck in Boise for the moment. Looking forward to being able to more easily duck up to Seattle, either for Husky games or just to visit many old friends.

The only work on Maximilian die varieties is by Hal Birt for the 20P. If you belong to USMEXNA, you can view a reprint of his article. Another guy who knows a lot about Maximilian is Don Bailey. Don said there was a collectors society that specialized in Max in the 60s or 70s and they had publications but I have never seen one.

A Guide Book of Mexican Coins 1822 to Date by Buttrey and Hubbard is a great general reference. You want the sixth edition, if that is not available (scarce book), the 5th edition is OK. They cover the Max patterns, I don't know if KM does.

Sounds like an interesting project they cranked out millions of these coins, who knows how many dies and associated states. Auction records have some nice photos. Next the camera is set up I will get some pics and edge shots for you.

I have read the article on the 20p and I am also familiar with this society. Dr. Prudeau was an important figurehead in that society and he wrote many publications. Unfortunately though even his work lacked attribution. I have tried making contact with Mr. Bailey via email without reply. Perhaps a phone call would be better.

I am only in the starting stages of this and images from Heritage Auctions have been invaluable in identifying the most noticeable attributes. I am not sure what I can expect to come from this but I am hoping my effort will bring more attention to the subject and mold a better final product with the help of others.

Quick update: I got my hands on a rare copy of "Mexican Coinage" written by the Banco de Mexico. They only printed 500 English copies. I am not expecting attribution but will share what it has on the subject.