• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on this sweet rainbow toned 1897 Barber Quarter

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

Hope you are all excited about the weekend...let's get it started off right with this sweet rainbow toned 1897 Barber Quarter I just picked up. I'd love to hear your thoughts as to grade (IMO, having the coin in hand, it's definitely uncirculated) and if you think the toning warrants a bump in value. I don't think it's higher than a 64, so I will keep the poll questions below that.

I am going to be listing it for sale, which is why I'd like to hear what you think about the toning/value.

1897BarberQuarter_zps48ade6e1.jpg

Without having read your description, I would have guessed AU58. So what I interpret as rub must be due to toning based on your description. As such, I'll guess MS63. The piece looks a bit lackluster to me and the toning on the obverse impedes the eye appeal of the piece.

MS63. I like the reverse tone, obverse not really much there that would be considered appealing.

As Physics said this type of tone is not considered rainbow.

I like the reverse, but the obverse looks like it might have a rub under what appears to be some dull toning. I think that the reverse toning is attractive, but it's not what collectors would call "rainbow."

As to value, given the look of the obverse I'd say that there is little if any premum there over the normal prices. Remember the obverse is more important that the reverse when it comes to assigning grades and values.