• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1942 T2 Nickel with Errors....input appreciated!

8 posts in this topic

Hello all!

I recently purchased a coin that's the 1st I have ever seen. It looks like a rather unattractive, carbon spotted 1942 Type 2 proof, but on the reverse it has several pretty interesting planchet laminations. Not something I'd expect on a proof coin usually and the fact that these earlier proofs had smaller mintage numbers makes me wonder if this might be a little more unique. I'm trying to gauge what kind of value an error would have on this coin and if any others exist. I like the old NGC no-line fatty, but if the carbon spots kill the market, I'm sure it could be professionally "conserved" back to blast white. Any thoughts would really be appreciated! Thank you in advance :-)

Several shots from different angles:

http://s289.photobucket.com/user/Stealthwon/library/42%20T2%20PF-65%20Error?sort=3&page=1

But here is the gist of it:

IMG_1147_zpscc4dae49.jpg

IMG_1178_zps6dc7678f.jpg

Lamination errors were rather common on the 'silver' war mix for Jefferson nickels. The manganese, silver and copper mix was something the mint did not have much experience with.

My thought Is this error detracts from the value of the coin, and it was lucky to get into a straight graded slab.

Maybe I should be adding more emphasis on the fact that this is a proof, because you're absolutely right, the wartime alloy did see more than its share of problems.

Atractive or not, I have yet to see another.....just curious if anyone else has? Errors on the proofs from 36-42 seem rare and since this was the only year war nickel to be struck in proof it seems very, very unusual.

Yes, laminations like this are unusual on a Proof coin, and it makes you wonder how it got out of the mint like that. I don't think that the coin "fell apart" later.

Sadly I have to agree with the others that this lowers the value of the coin.

Thank you all very much for the insights!

I don't know why, but this one has been a lot of fun....not being much of an error collector normally. I do love proofs though and the abnormalities make it more special to me......and apparently me alone. Hehehe! The expression: "There's a butt for every seat" comes to mind :-D

Thanks again!

I agree that it is rather uncommon or rare to find a planchet flaw proof coin and glad you like it. A very special collector would need to be found to pay a premium for that, as the 1942-P is a 1 year issue and already has a 'premium' compared to surrounding Jefferson issues.