• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Still joshing after all these years.

9 posts in this topic

Poice and bar-owners in Queens are alert these days after someone passed several gold-plated 1883 nickels off

as $5 Gold pieces.

A friend of mine was taken in by a well dressed male who after buying several drinks offered this rare gold coin for the bargin basement price of only $100.Claiming the coin was worth much more,and with a current Coin Prices magazine to back his story,the man has victimized at least three bartenders in the Woodside area this year.Guess old PT was right. frustrated.gif

I guess the Coin Prices mag didn't have any pictures, but, there again, maybe the beverages had something to do with it. It doesn't surprise me since this scam is more than 120 years old, and there were more than 5.4 million of these nickels produced before the mint changed the design to include "CENTS".

I'm wondering, is this where the saying "It ain't worth a plug nickel" came from? Does anyone know?

What goes around, comes around (deja vu, all over again)!!!

What's funny is that the coin before plating (if MS) could be worth more than the $100 he got for the gold plated coin.

What goes around, comes around (deja vu, all over again)!!!

What's funny is that the coin before plating (if MS) could be worth more than the $100 he got for the gold plated coin.

It probably was wizzed 27_laughing.gif

I know the one bartender and it was reported on the local news and radio stations here.Not sure it made the print media. Evidently several people he approached were suspicious and called the police about it..