• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice for coin collecting beginners

2 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I am relatively new to the forums. I have been collecting mostly Morgan silver dollars for the last 6 years. Just like every other coin collector out there I learned the hard way buying coins that could maybe make me rich, that ended up being worth half what I paid.

Please, before you waste your hard earned money buying coins from rip off artists, buy a graded coin from NGC or PCGS with a green cac sticker with the type of coins you will be collecting. Study them, and compare them to raw coins before you buy. You can buy a common date MS64 cac approved Morgan for around $100. I certainly wished I had done this sooner.

Anyone else have good tricks for beginners I would love the additions. Thanks.

Maybe you can get this thread moved to the U.S. Coins or Numismatic General forum, since this particular forum is for seeking grading opinions.

Also, buying and studying a coin or two isn't going to teach someone a whole lot about grading. Looking at hundreds or thousands of coins at shows, shops or auctions would be a lot more beneficial.