• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official Ebay Saint Gaudens (and non-Saint) Auction Discussion

9 posts in this topic

I thought a thread to discuss the pricing on Ebay -- given it's popularity -- for coin sales would be useful.

I want the main focus to be on more popular coins, specifically Saint Gaudens $20 Gold pieces but if someone sees a coin or vintage they like, I don't want to preclude a few posts discussing them, too.

Here's something that caught my eye: a 1925 MS-66 Saint NGC:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251777402935?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Good deal of MS-66's up for sale in various years.

Post Auction Comment: Coin went for $2,326....any thoughts ?

I see apmex.com has ms 66 pcgs saints for 2125 each

at 2125 that is a good deal considering a year or so ago ms 65 saints were over 2300 each

yea I know gold is down but the best bang for the buck is an ms 66 saint for 2125 at apmex.com

as generic gold is the softest I have seen it in the last few years or so

my 2c worth

please read my disclaimer below

I see apmex.com has ms 66 pcgs saints for 2125 each at 2125 that is a good deal considering a year or so ago ms 65 saints were over 2300 each yea I know gold is down but the best bang for the buck is an ms 66 saint for 2125 at apmex.com as generic gold is the softest I have seen it in the last few years or so my 2c worthplease read my disclaimer below

The numismatic premium tends to be 'sticky' and resists falling with the gold price.

I think we can see common MS-66's under $2,000 in a few months.

I see apmex.com has ms 66 pcgs saints for 2125 each at 2125 that is a good deal considering a year or so ago ms 65 saints were over 2300 each yea I know gold is down but the best bang for the buck is an ms 66 saint for 2125 at apmex.com as generic gold is the softest I have seen it in the last few years or so my 2c worthplease read my disclaimer below

The numismatic premium tends to be 'sticky' and resists falling with the gold price.

I sure hope so. I also hope the price on MS67 Saints drops. I would love to cherry pick the coins and form a small mini hoard (if finances permit).

I sure hope so. I also hope the price on MS67 Saints drops. I would love to cherry pick the coins and form a small mini hoard (if finances permit).

Remember, as the actual price of gold goes lower, the premium will not continue to shrink as much since the premium is likely much less than when gold and/or numismatic premiums were much higher.

Couple of VERY NICE 1907 High Reliefs -- one Wire, one Flat -- asking well over 6-figures for MS-67 condition:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1907-ST-GAUDENS-HI-RELIEF-20-NGC-MS-67-/171573395919?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item27f29241cf

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1907-ST-GAUDENS-HI-RELIEF-20-NGC-MS-67-/171573397399?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item27f2924797

No idea if the price is reflective of "the market" since the population is so small there and probably very few coins trade at that MS level.

Other 1907's a few grades down selling for 1/2 or 1/3rd as much on Ebay. Just input "1907 Saint" and then sort by Highest Price.

Remember, as the actual price of gold goes lower, the premium will not continue to shrink as much since the premium is likely much less than when gold and/or numismatic premiums were much higher.

True enough, but gold has been pretty slow lately and some of the numismatic premium seems to have come down as well. Even well before the spike in gold, MS65 and higher coins were selling for a good bit more than today unless my recollection is flawed.

True enough, but gold has been pretty slow lately and some of the numismatic premium seems to have come down as well. Even well before the spike in gold, MS65 and higher coins were selling for a good bit more than today unless my recollection is flawed.

Remember...with a sticky numismatic premium it goes UP as the gold price declines....when gold stabilizes and lays at a level, then the numismatic premium usually plays 'catch-up' to the downside.

In some respects, we are still working off the massive premiums of years ago, a few charts of which I posted showing the premium ranging from 50-75% recently to 200-250% 10-15 years ago.

Thought this was interesting.....a 1908 No Motto MS-66+. Supposedly the MS-67's have sold for alot more (seller's story) so there was heavy bidding as the price went for just over $3,000.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1908-SAINT-GAUDENS-DOUBLE-EAGLE-PCGS-MS-66-SECURE-HOLDER-WELLS-FARGO-HOARD-/381124751768?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item58bcce3198