• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NTC Slabs / 1885P Morgan Opinions Needed: Cleaned?

7 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I recently purchased a NTC Graded Morgan (Below) for 45$. It was given a high grade (above MS60 - currently have pics under "Guess the Grade" Thread.)

When the coin was shipped I decided to do some research on NTC as I never really had anything from them before. What I found was not what I was expecting. I read that NTC Slabs are unreliable & that many NTC graded coins had been cleaned or otherwise.

Can you give me some opinions as to why the obverse looks like it hap tape or something over it, please.It would be much appreciated.

Thanks much,

-Tom

IMG_3898.JPG

IMG_3901.JPG

Wow,

First off the coin has tape residue which should soak off in Acetone. The pull away toning below the date is a characteristic of a natural process so...... since the coin looks to be mint state, you might be ok.

The question I have is whether there is "cartwheel luster" on each side. That necessary characteristic doesn't present itself in your pictures but may exist.

If it were mine I'd crack it out (hammer the edges of the slab on a hard surface) like a garage floor and then soak it, obverse down in pure Acetone. If that's toning I'm seeing and not tape residue then soaking the coin in Acetone shouldn't remove anything. The coin may have been formerly housed in a gift card kinda thing that the coin was slipped under a paper band to hold it in place. Very unlikely.

Wait for the input of others but I think your coin's worth $45.00.

I do not think we are seeing tape, but rather toning where something laid across the surface of the coin. It is innocuous and will not adversely affect the grade. The coin appears mint state to me and looks MS64 or so. I don't think it is a bad piece at all.

Also, I firmly believe in buying the coin and not the holder. Believe it or not, in VERY, VERY, VERY RARE circumstances, the pieces have upgraded. I liken it to the odds of being struck by lightning, but it does happen. A gentleman across the street had very nice before and after photos of a Saint Gaudens Double Eagle that went from NTC MS61 to PCGS MS62. With that said, over all, NTC is not accepted by mainstream numismatists and for good reason. There are a number of coins out there with problems on them. If you are knowledgeable, can grade/realize that the holder grade may not hold, and can identify problem coins on your own, I see no problem with buying them. (As an aside, if you ever crack an NTC slab, they smell horribly).

I might feel differently, were I to view the coin in hand. But I see no evidence of cleaning, it looks like approximately an MS64 to me and I would leave it as is.

I would guess that some type of tab or ribbon was responsible for the bands on the obverse.

Well, it's not an MS66, but it's a pleasant coin and worth what you paid. If you throw more money at it for "grading" it will not be worth any more.