• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's Official !! I have become a Coin Nerd

24 posts in this topic

Today at SONIC I gave the young car hop an AG 1908 Barber Quarter as a tip on a 13 buck meal. Don't ask how I had a stash of Barber Quarters in the coin compartment/ex-Ashtray but that's all I had. I simply placed it in her palm, she clamped her fist around it, said thank you, turned, and left. As I reversed out of my spot I could see her looking at it once she was back inside.

When did you realize you had become a Coin Nerd?

I truly think she thought I gave her "just" a quarter, but she was gracious and said nothing save "Thank You".

Golly gee willikers, am I getting old? I'm only 43

She may have said, "Thank you," but I'll bet a slick Barber dime that she was thinking something else.

So now in order to get her $2.50 tip she has to find a coin shop that won't rip her off, drive there, and sell it to them. And that's if they aren't forced to pool cash tips.

Coins secretly worth more than face value make lousy tips. Go find her sometime and make sure she gets a proper tip.

She may have said, "Thank you," but I'll bet a slick Barber dime that she was thinking something else.

So now in order to get her $2.50 tip she has to find a coin shop that won't rip her off, drive there, and sell it to them. And that's if they aren't forced to pool cash tips.

Coins secretly worth more than face value make lousy tips. Go find her sometime and make sure she gets a proper tip.

.....or......

Consider yourself lucky that she didn't get your tag number, call the cops and report you as a counterfeiter.

It wouldn't be the first time an employee didn't recognize old US currency.

Chris

You're a "coin nerd" when you wear a T-shirt with a coin pictured on it, or have a card that says "Highest Prices Paid for Your Old Coins"

When the ike dollars first came out, I got 100 of them and paid for everything with them. Almost everyone said they were not real. However in every crowd there is was at least person that backed me up. I quit doing it as it was just too much of a hassle to wait for the manager to come over.

John,

I actually do agree with you and understand, all in all, it probably was a lousy tip. I did, however, state that a few Barber Quarters were all I had available to make some sort of gesture in appreciation. SONIC is a fast food restaurant and I've heard of many people not tipping at all, but when someone comes to bring me my food I feel compelled to tip. I paid with a debit card and was cash poor.

As grievous an error I made I hope there may be a slight chance her silent curses turned to wonder at what it was she held in her hand. Maybe, just maybe she actually thought it was cool, went and learned a bit about that coin, or even went to a coin shop - would that really be such a bad thing?

So yeah, no more tipping with coins worth more than face value.

-doug

Classic, I love it, folks Sonic is a Texas original, a real drive in and they are still around and doing well. This will start the waitress on a new pathway as she learns what the tip was. Well done dada!!!

Best, HT

When I sat my mom down at the computer during her holiday visit to show her my registry set.

That so funny I did the exact same thing......lol

Signs I'm already well past gone:

I wrote and published a book about coins.

I walk past the Hawaii 5-0 nickel because I've seen it so many times.

Dealers see me at a show, read my name tag, and ask "Are you THE Jason Poe?" (To be fair, I'm still not entity sure what he meant by that)

Classic, I love it, folks Sonic is a Texas original, a real drive in and they are still around and doing well. This will start the waitress on a new pathway as she learns what the tip was. Well done dada!!!

Best, HT

Well, actually it's an Oklahoma original. ;)

Dealers see me at a show, read my name tag, and ask "Are you THE Jason Poe?" (To be fair, I'm still not entity sure what he meant by that)

Just got a book "Art and Science of Grading Coins"

Are you that Jason Poe?

Are you that Jason Poe?

Yes, he is.

Are you that Jason Poe?

Yes, he is.

Guilty as charged.