• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What could this be worth

5 posts in this topic

According to the 2013 Krause, it's a KM# 926 PRC 50 yuan silver coin. .999 Ag, 4.99448 oz., 155.5175g. Mintage is only 1000, low but not unusually low for PRC commemorative big silver. Krause thinks it's worth $1400. NGC doesn't expect it to ring the bell for less than PR-66, where it starts at $1575. At PR-69, which is a very rarefied grade--almost flawless--NGC says $2900.

The hard part, of course, could be getting someone to pay you that for it. But I definitely wouldn't let it go for bullion value, and it would very likely be worth sending in to slab. The largest graded populations of the coin are PR-67 and PR-68 ($1725, $1900), so statistically that's your likeliest outcome. If it were mine, I would totally send it to NGC, and then, since I don't collect those, I'd auction it off and use the money to buy coins I like. But if you like it, then great, you have yourself a nice coin--one worth professional grading and encapsulation.