• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No more PCGS crossover posted by Augustus

11 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

$400 later, and almost nothing crossed.

For those thinking of crossing PCGS coins, don't bother. I spent $400 crossing PCGS coins to NGC, and most didn't cross. It was ultimately an expensive disappointment and a waste of money.

16275.jpg

See more journals by Augustus

I have a much smaller sample (total of two) but even worse results - NONE of my attempted PCGS crossovers came back in NGC slabs. I have had better results submitting ANACS coins. NGC graded five out of five, but three of them at one grade lower than ANACS.

Yeah, trying to cross PCGS world coins at par is an excercise in futility. PCGS is so wildly inconsistent, and usually loose, with world coins. There is a reason why NGC is the standard for world coins.

If you do try to cross, accept them at any grade (or put a min grade one or two points lower). Or, since these are all moderns and widely available, in the future just buy them already in the NGC holder at the grade you want.

I have to say, that would be a disappointing crossover. Don't take this the wrong way but maybe you need to scrutinize the coins you try and cross more? Best of luck if you change your mind.

Having had similar experience with world PCGS crossovers at NGC, I understand completely. I have had better results with my own 'raw' submissions than from PCGS crossovers. The NGC value and modern tiers have worked out very well for me with quite reasonable turnaround times. This year, If I buy a PCGS coin that I like at the assigned PCGS grade, it will stay in a PCGS holder.

greysoldier

Out of 10 cross at any grade 6 crossed at same grade , 1 crossed but went from RED to RED BROWN , and 3 dropped 1 point. I do plan to crack one that crossed at same grade out and resubmit raw. I think it should have upgraded. The 3 downgrades I feel 2 of 3 were reasonable and the other borderline.

edit to add: They were all world coins.

What physics-fan said.

Rather than cross either just buy the coins in NGC slabs from the get go or.......buy replacements for the ones you didn't get crossed and sell off the originals once you have 2.

I submitted an ANACS F12 and came back G details. The coin was a rare one and I wanted an NGC hoder. Did not go well. I have a few PCGS in MS that if come back in AU will be a financial catastrophe, so they will stay PCGS. Sure will be off the registry, but no way to risk the money.

The original intention of certification was authentication, getting the coin in a protective and easily managed slab, with a grade estimate, not an endless search for the highest grade or the right holder.