• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is going on with this 1931D Saint?

36 posts in this topic

Not my coin, and not one in my 2015 coin budget, but that doesn't stop me from looking.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1931-D-ST-GAUDENS-20-PCGS-MS-65-/201253530129?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item2edba52a11

This is one of the very rare dates that most collectors can only dream of owning, but spending this much money one would want only the best. What is causing the cloudy appearance on this coin? Putty? Has the coin been doctored?

Surface contamination of some sort?

Sharp dings are visible beneath the surface color on both sides, so it is unlikely to be residue from "putty."

At present it is certainly an ugly duckling.

Don't know. Possibly old, dried-out PVC oil?

That's an interesting thought. I know that some coin doctors will also use PVC film/haze to attempt to cover blemishes too (in lieu of putty). Do you think this is what happened here? I haven't ever seen the film turn colors/progress as much - that's why I am curious/fascinated by your suggestion .

It looks like the coin was puttied to me.

On a coin worth that much, you would think that the seller would send it back to PCGS to have it restored.

I'm about 99% sure that is putty....that's what it looks like once it's changed in the holder...at least from my experience.

Brylcreem ?

A little dap will do ya!

jom

PVC is my guess. I had one with similar on it:

saintcrud001.jpg

Many said putty, but I don't think so. If it was putty, it was the most ham fisted putty job ever. Besides, there wasn't anything under the stuff (hairlines or contact marks) to hide. Back then, PCGS would take care of such issues without charge.

2620d2_zpsischh0vu.jpg

On a coin worth that much, you would think that the seller would send it back to PCGS to have it restored.

I'm about 99% sure that is putty....that's what it looks like once it's changed in the holder...at least from my experience.

Brylcreem ?

A little dap will do ya!

jom

"dab", not "dap". :frustrated:

;)

Mark -- The "youngsters" just don't have the cultural experience to separate "dap" from "dab." :)

saintcrud001.jpg

Many said putty, but I don't think so. If it was putty, it was the most ham fisted putty job ever. Besides, there wasn't anything under the stuff (hairlines or contact marks) to hide. Back then, PCGS would take care of such issues without charge.

2620d2_zpsischh0vu.jpg

What causes the striped effect on the reverse of these coins? I have noticed it, and have always thought the lighter stripes look like the original color of the coin, but that the deep orange hue on the rest of the coin was the toning. In fact, I find that deep orange hue to be a very attractive look on these coins.

...I sure hope not!....

The High School girls had a product called "Dippity Do!" Which, according to one girl "didn't."

Back when television was funny, Johnny Carson had a Carnak routine wherein the answer was:

"Dippity Do"

and the question was

"What is it that forms on your dippity in the morning?"

dapperdan_zps78671208.jpg

Something strange is going on...look at the tail feathers in the whole slab photo, it's different than the tail feathers in circular cropped photo?

Me & Howie Long used Butch Wax... hm I think Howie still uses that stuff.

You put your finger into the jar, come out with a gob and slather it across the comb...with vertical strokes, stiffen the leading edge of your flat top.

Maybe it's pomade on the Saint?

Brylcreem ?

A little dap will do ya!

jom

"dab", not "dap". :frustrated:

;)

You are correct of course but believe it or not it was a typo!

And...unfortunately....I AM old enough to remember this and "the wet head is dead". lol

jom

saintcrud001.jpg

2620d2_zpsischh0vu.jpg

The reason I think it was putty was due to the fact the coin, as is, CLEARLY as a problem PCGS should have seen. However, putty shows itself many times long after the coin has been graded. Which something PCGS would have to fix after the fact....

jom

For us novices...

(1) How can you be sure the blemishes aren't on the glass casing ?

(2) Are the blemishes you are seeing the ones across her face to her hair......down her right leg and right part of her dress.....and the base of the flowers?

Anybody got any guesses as to how it got an MS-65 with all that ???? hm

The reason I think it was putty was due to the fact the coin, as is, CLEARLY as a problem PCGS should have seen. However, putty shows itself many times long after the coin has been graded. Which something PCGS would have to fix after the fact....

jom

In fairness, PVC oil might turn hazy over time as well. I have seen this used on proof gold and when it aged, it had a translucent haze but didn't turn colors. It didn't quite look like this, but granted, I have only seen a couple of pieces that were treated in this manner (one of which was confirmed by CAC). That's why CaptHenway's post was of interest to me.

jom

In fairness, PVC oil might turn hazy over time as well. I have seen this used on proof gold and when it aged, it had a translucent haze but didn't turn colors. It didn't quite look like this, but granted, I have only seen a couple of pieces that were treated in this manner (one of which was confirmed by CAC). That's why CaptainHemingway's post was of interest to me.

I haven't any experience with PVC oil so that didn't occur to me....but putty was my first (and really only) thought. Actually is no clue what PVC oil is...I thought Capt' was referring to PVC from a previous plastic holder or some such.

It probably doesn't really matter exactly what is on the coin it needs to get returned to PCGS so they can take care of it.

jom

The problem is not the PVC but the softener(s) used. The most common are phthalate-group chemicals which make polyvinyl chloride plastic soft and flexible.

2620d2_zpsischh0vu.jpg

What causes the striped effect on the reverse of these coins? I have noticed it, and have always thought the lighter stripes look like the original color of the coin, but that the deep orange hue on the rest of the coin was some form of toning. In fact, I find that deep orange hue to be a very attractive look on these coins.

Orange-gold is normal for $20s in this era. The banding seems to be on a planchet and probably comes from final whitening.

I haven't any experience with PVC oil so that didn't occur to me....but putty was my first (and really only) thought. Actually is no clue what PVC oil is...I thought Capt' was referring to PVC from a previous plastic holder or some such.

Coin doctors will harvest PVC and elute it in a solvent and then use it as a spread across the surface of a coin to help hide imperfections. I purchased a proof quarter eagle from an online auction house (there were no lot viewings - stupid idea I know) and the images had a lot to be desired. Unfortunately, I was hit by a piece with cloudy surfaces to my dismay. The coin was in a PCGS holder. I was curious what it was and submitted it to CAC, and JA relayed the PVC information to me. I am unsure if this is what CaptHenway was referencing or not.

I am still thinking putty like you, but the PVC oil suggestion was an interesting and plausible one.

It probably doesn't really matter exactly what is on the coin it needs to get returned to PCGS so they can take care of it.

jom

I agree.

jom

In fairness, PVC oil might turn hazy over time as well. I have seen this used on proof gold and when it aged, it had a translucent haze but didn't turn colors. It didn't quite look like this, but granted, I have only seen a couple of pieces that were treated in this manner (one of which was confirmed by CAC). That's why CaptainHemingway's post was of interest to me.

jom

Yes, I was referring to the oil from a PVC flip that broke down chemically.

TD