• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have some milk spots that seem to have appeared after grading

2 posts in this topic

I understand that true milk spots occur during the process of the planchet at the mint, and these spots can not be removed. My question does these type of milk spots (planchet process created) occur immediately or can they show up a couple of months to a couple of years later after minting? I have a couple of silver proofs that were graded and I think the spotting has occurred after encapsulation. My concern is it something to do with how I am storing the coins? Also with milk spots related to the planchet process do they seem to get larger over time or do they seem to remain the same size? If milk spots form several months or years after minting is that an indicator that it is environmental opposed to planchet process, thus can be removed?

Milk spots can and often appear years after a coin is made. Milk spots can change over time becoming larger. It is best to store a collection in a dry place as free from temperature fluctuations as possible. Poor storage conditions can have an adverse affect on the development of milk spots.

Chris, NCS