• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Working Die Life Expectancy?

2 posts in this topic

Where can I find information on the life expectancy of working dies? Specially, I'm looking for the average life of Roosevelt dime dies in 1959.

I skimmed the Annual report of the Director of the Mint 1958/59 & 1959/60 and the Annual Report of the Secretary of the Treasury on the State of the Finances for the Fiscal Year Ended June 30, 1960 and ending June 30, 1959, but I can't seem to find anything on it. Am I looking in the wrong place?

That info is in the NARA Philadelphia files for RG 104. It is incomplete, but parts are usable

Entry 666. Dies Destroyed, Retained & Number of Pieces Struck 1956-December 31, 1961, Philadelphia Mint.

Lists of Dies (domestic and foreign) destroyed and retained by the Mint in Philadelphia. The lists cover a three month period. The lists specify the quantities of each die, obverse and reverse, and their denominations. Arranged in reverse chronological order.

G-12-09-03-1 to G-12-09-03-2 Boxes 125-126

----------

Entry 681 Dies Destroyed, Retained & Number of Pieces Struck 1956-December 31, 1961 Denver Mint.

Lists of Dies destroyed and retained by the Denver Mint sent to Philadelphia. The lists cover a three month period. Each list states the number of dies used, average pieces struck by dies and total number of pieces stamped. Arranged in reverse chronological order.

G-12-09-05-1 Box 136