• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Late 1700's Draped Bust Large Cents

4 posts in this topic

I have thus far collected only pre-33 US gold but a nice late 1700's Draped Bust Large Cent is calling me (also because I would not likely prioritize the cost for a late 1700's gold coin).

Based on my budget for this buy I'm looking for a Good 8 - Fine 12 example with no details/qualifiers. From my research thus far I can find nice strike non-details coins early 1800's (1802, 1803, etc.) but as soon as I get to the 1700's the cost goes way up and the condition way down (even if the same grade) in comparison. Are they just that much tougher to get even a few years earlier, say 1798 compared to 1802?

Thanks

The 1798 large cent is the most common pre 1800 date in the series. Yet, as a date 1802 and 1803 are more common. Plus the fact that the coin is dated prior to 1800 adds to the interest and the price.

Well circulated early copper is very hard to find without qualifiers. Copper is the most reactive among the classic coinage metals. That is why you see so many pieces with problems. Plus most of the no problem coins are in variety collections. I'd say it is actually easier to find a nice, no problem 1798 dollar than it is to find a cent.

Thanks for the reply Bill. I will check out what is available for Draped Bust dollars.

The 1799 dollar is the most common of all the Bust dollars. It was the only silver coin the mint made that year, and it has the highest mintage in the series.