• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A New Year and A New Direction posted by sowersb

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Breaking up is hard to do!!!

So, here we are, a New Year and the contemplation of changing direction in my collecting endeavors. Breaking away from my proof sets will be an emotional change and I'm not really sure I will!! At first I shot for the moon wanting all the proof sets from 1936-1964....seemed simple enough for this Novice! Not so....as I delved into the earlier proof sets (36-42) I realized I was in over my head!! The more I wanted higher grades the more the price was skyrocketing. So I abandoned the earlier proofs, left with my 1950-1964 Silver proof years. You know what? I don't think I am going to abandon them!!! It's too hard to do.....I put too much effort in getting a complete set and now all I have to do is seek the higher grades. I'm glad I wrote this...I could have made a mistake. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL and my all your Proofs be Ultra Cameo!!

Bud

See more journals by sowersb

Bud,

O-K we understand your passion for the proof sets you are keeping. Now, you started this post with a change in direction but forgot to let us know what direction you were headed. :grin:

Rick

Bud,

I also had the early proof set fever. My prime goal was to get a 1942 proof set, because of the 2 nickels, the winged Liberty "mercury" dime and Liberty walking half-dollar. I wound up finding an affordable 1938 set which I bought first followed by 1941 and finally 1942. I have both the brilliant and satin finish Buffalo nickels but have yet to be able to cough up the Cash for the rest of the coins from 36 and 37. Good luck and have Fun

John

Lincoln's are the top collected business strike series in the club. It takes a little while just to get in the top 100 sets. Many slots to fill and search for. That collection will surely keep you busy for years to come!! :)

If you would like a little help let me know.

Enjoy your new task.

Rick