• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver 1oz pandas, Chinese lunar 5oz year of rat, grading concerns??

5 posts in this topic

I would like to get these checked out 1996, 2000 (3)small date 2001 smal d and 2005, and year of the rat 5 oz lunar Chinese coin. I have never sent coins out to be graded, 7 coins in all, could be worth a lot of Money, how long would it take and a round about cost. How safe is it , I worry about getting the same coins back. All new to me , so sorry if I sound a little worried. We're in the 95688 area code should I take them, thanks steve

I have sent coins in on several different occasions and found all the experiences to meet my expectations. Even USPS did well. NGC or PCGS are not in the business of not sending your coins back to you (switching them out). They make more in 15 seconds of grading, then the total value of your coins. They are in business as a TPG, and make mountains of money just grading them. Further, the continuation of their profitability relies on their integrity. The sustainability of their business plan is to grade the coins accurately, and get them back to you, so you send them more. Thus switching out your coins would not be in their self interest. Don't mean this to sound like a flippant response. I just wanted to point out why it would not be self serving for a TPG to switch coins, and it would be self serving for them to take the upmost care to get you back the same coins you sent in.....

You can get an idea of cost by filling out the online world coin invoice Under submit coin tab, which depends on service level and the amount of time you are willing to wait to get them back...

+1 to what KMAG said. The only thing I would recommend is sending them registered mail if they are very valuable. The USPS will offer you insurance, then when someone loses, or steals your package (because of the red flag insurance sticker you put on it) they will proceed to tell you that insurance does not cover money, or bullion, or any other barterable goods. I lost $400 in silver once and got my $17 dollars back in postage and insurance costs back 6 months later after my claim was "approved". Registered mail is around $25 and it covers everything. Totally worth it.

Is there a company that wants counterfeit coins for research. I have come into a few and do not want to just throw them away, but I do not want someone to try and sell and make money off of these fakes, does NGC like places would want them, or is there so many out there they have enough. Theses are pandas silver one oz. they are not magnetic. Even magnet pushes away like silver. Some the weight was very close, but looking close you can see the tell signs,

Is there a company that wants counterfeit coins for research. I have come into a few and do not want to just throw them away, but I do not want someone to try and sell and make money off of these fakes, does NGC like places would want them, or is there so many out there they have enough. Theses are pandas silver one oz. they are not magnetic. Even magnet pushes away like silver. Some the weight was very close, but looking close you can see the tell signs,

Steve, check your PM's. Should be the little flashing flag at the top of the page next to the "My Stuff" tab. Thanks!