• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Claiming Coin Pedigree

13 posts in this topic

I've noticed that NGC doesn't validate the pedigree claimed by the submitter. I understand that they cannot verify pedigree of every request but if someone claims that they have Sheldon's coins or someone very famous, I feel they should make an attempt to verify it.

Without some type of provenance attached to the coin being submitted(other than the collector's claim of the pedigree), I don't think there is much any TPG could do to verify the previous ownership of any coin linked to a well-known or famous collector. If any of the TPG's took the word of the average collector that their coin once resided in say the Newman or Eliasberg collections, there would likely be rise in dishonest submissions claiming a pedigree status of some of the most well-known or famous collectors.

It would seem to me that it would be the submitter's responsibility to provide documentation for this. At least that is what I've learned from watching Pawn Stars.

Chris :devil:

If the submitter makes the claim that said coin was from "xyz" collection, IMO, it's the submitters burden to prove the provenance, not the other way around.

Seems to me, you'd be asking the TPG's to find a needle in a haystack at times.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

A provenance (or "pedigree") to a name collection will be added if at least one of the following criteria is satisfied: 1) the coin can be plate matched to the name auction of that collection or is identified and plated as the name specimen in a subsequent auction by a major company; 2) the coin and the lot tag are both still sealed in the original auction flip

I've noticed that NGC doesn't validate the pedigree claimed by the submitter. I understand that they cannot verify pedigree of every request but if someone claims that they have Sheldon's coins or someone very famous, I feel they should make an attempt to verify it.

You mean "provenance," which is chain-of-custody. "Pedigree" is bloodline. If the coin is a thoroughbred, its pedigree can be traced to an Arabian stallion and English mare.

Let me put it this way. If no documentation of provenance is sent by the submitter to NGC, NGC should not add the pedigree but ask for more information from submitter to prove it.

I have seen many people claim pedigree without proof and NGC has added them without any being provided.

Let me put it this way. If no documentation of provenance is sent by the submitter to NGC, NGC should not add the pedigree but ask for more information from submitter to prove it.

If the submitter does not include any documentation of pedigree/provenance, I feel that NGC should not have to ask for any more information. I believe that it is the submitter's responsibility to prove to NGC the pedigree/provenance being asked for.

I have seen many people claim pedigree without proof and NGC has added them without any being provided.

Please provide some coins that people have claimed pedigree on without proof that NGC has added without any information being provided. Many of the registry participants could possibly have their registry set names put on the labels of their coins. But I would not consider that as being the same as having a pedigree from a well-known collection like Eliasberg or Newman.

Can you provide examples of this happening? It's very curious. What kind of pedigree are we discussing?

I wouldn't think they'd just slap anything on their slabs. If they're referencing pedigree, it's probably good enough for marketing purposes. Who collects coins based on that, anyway? Look at the coin, learn how to do that, don't rely on the pedigree to tell you you've got a coin worth admiring.