• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC "Cleaned" Bouncebacks

8 posts in this topic

This is best answered by the folks at NGC, but basically when a coin has been cleaned in such a way that one or more of its natural characteristics has been impaired, then it is deemed "cleaned" and is body bagged. Coins that have been abrasively cleaned (with few exceptions) are not slabbed, and coins that have been brightened by chemical agents are impaired and body bagged. Overdipped coins that show dulled surfaces from an impairment of lustre are BB'd. Dipped copper is BB'd. Whizzed and repaired coins are BB'd. Consider color, lustre, hairlines and other scratches as evident give-aways of coins that will not be slabbed by NGC/PCGS. ANACS will net grade coins that have been cleaned and NCS will slab problem coins with the problem stated on the holder and the level of details stated (e.g. unc., AU, etc.)

tongue.gif Hoot

I've had too many "Cleaned" coins returned to me. Now, I usually run them past a good dealer first, and even then a few slip thru and they come back bagged. Twowood

There are more ways than I can describe. Typically they look at the coin's surface to judge the luster (impaired?), hairlines (rubbing/polishing/other marks), whizzing (with a rotary brush, leaves ridges of moved metal on devices and creates unnatural looks), and many other ways. The best way to learn to detect cleaning is to see what real coins should look like. Seeing the real things makes it easier to spot that which doesn't conform. Not foolproof, but helpful.

Properly hold the coin in your hand and "rock " it back and forth...looking for that cartwheel luster,if the cartwheel continues throughout the whole face of the coin, chances are that no cleaning or rubbing was involved.

If you notice a disturbance, or "break" in the cartwheel effect, chances are a possible cleaning, wiping or rubbing.

rob laugh.gif

John,

Hopefully others will also read this...

So many people on these board's talk about reading the book,before you buy the coin!

One book I would recommend reading is the one by James Halperin "How to grade U.S. coins".

I'm not sure, but I think the practice of "rocking" the coin back and forth was in the book mentioned above.

That simple technique has helped me tremendously. (Silver Coins)

BTW....Thank's for the reply

Rob smile.gif