• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1945 S mint wheat cents

6 posts in this topic

Going through some S mints, I had (4) 45 S's. each one had the S mark slightly shifted in different position. Not much but visible to the naked eye. (Can not do pictures that close up).

Probably different dies i would guess. Would this be a common variation for that time period ?

George

Yes very common, this is directly from the book Looking Through Lincoln Cents by Charles Daughtrey.

"Repunched mintmarks saw a dramatic increase this year - over 40 different dies are known." He also notes that the San Francisco mint used two different mint mark styles that year.

You have to remember that the mintmarks were hand-punched into the dies until the early 1990's. If you want to look at some really radical placements, just search through a bunch of Kennedy halves from the 1970's. The mintmarks were all over the place.

Re-punched mintmarks (RPM's) is an entirely different subject.

Chris

Thanks for the input. This was the first time that I had looked at a bunch of wheat's at the same time. Don't do much with cents but aquired about a 1000 them with other coins. I'll see if I can find a collector when the batch is sorted.

George

Thanks for posting the Wexler article. Very informative, especially since I haven't done anything with cents. It would probably be fun to have a set up with hi- magnifcation to research the coins I have but not very productive,however interesting it may be.

George