• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

About that scanner again....

10 posts in this topic

I talked with a Dell technician and told him the problem I was having with scanning and pixels. He told me to get a professional scanner with 64000 pixels. I have a 4 in one scanner so I can understand why he said that. I am waiting now hoping I can get one on sale after Christmas. However, I have found some that are reasonably priced.

some gave me a digital camera as a gift but, I haven't had time to check it out but I do know it has a magnification of 5x, I am not sure but there is something in the directions about mega-pixels

You don't need a "professional scanner with 64000 pixels" !

If you want a good scanner for basic coin images and documents, Epson and some others make good ones with 1200 dpi optical resolution. Never believe any claim of "software resolution" the claims are bologna. (A flatbed scanner has a row of CCD and they move across the document/coin -- much like the cylindrical lenses used by copiers. The brightness and color information is read one row at a time.)

4 in 1 scanners are junk designed to scan paper with a focal length that's equal to the glass on the scanner bed.

You'll need a 3D scanner which can focus beyond the scanner glass.

I have an HP scanner which, IMO, is perfect.

IKE1971-SPrototypeStrike4111222A-1.jpg

IKE1971-SMDDaObvD.jpg

but............Windows no longer supports it since Vista. Soooooo, I hooked it up to an old XP System I have and use it every now and again since the XP System doesn't have internet access.

In the mean time, I bought an Epson Perfection V33 3D Scanner which focuses quite well off the scanner glass but it uses these weird lights in the scanner bar which creates unwanted effects on the surface of the coin.

img025.jpg

Basic Rule for scanners: Try Before You Buy.

I forgot to mention that the Epson Software leaves a LOT to be desired as it simply is not that easy to use compared to the HO Software which allowed me to set up profiles for exposures and even locations of coins on the scanner bed.

Epson does give you the ability to save certain settings but since the quality of the scan is unuseable to me, I've never really wanted to explore what it could do.

moneyhoney,

From the pictures you have posted, I'd say the problem isn't in your machinery, but how you're using it.

I suspect that what you need is a visit from a skilled teenager to teach you how to use what you have (or else give you an honest opinion of what you need).

If you don't know any skilled teenagers (or know anyone who would know a skilled teenager), perhaps you can call the computer teacher at your local high school to see if he or she can give you any recommendations (or perhaps your local public library sponsors computer classes).

19 Lloyds -

From the Ike dollar image at the bottom, it looks like one of the scanner's light sources is partially polarized, hence the rainbows.

MessyDesk made an excellent presentation at a FUN show that is available online in DVD form that teaches you how to take respectable photos with even a point and shoot digital camera. You might want to check it out. DSLRs with appropriate macro lenses are better, and I plan to buy one myself very soon.

Coinman, do you have the link?

It was a DVD. You will need to find this on the secondary market. I found mine on eBay a couple of years ago, I believe. Also check coin supply companies. The DVD is called "Respectable Numismatic Photography" and it is presented by John Baumgart (or MessyDesk as we know him here).