• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GIF attempt.....

23 posts in this topic

I showed my son the GIF posted awhile back by messydesk I believe? (correct me if I'm wrong) I think he liked the idea because he showed me his attempt on his 1922 Peace Dollar. Let me know what you think, and what might help make it better. THANKS!!!

1922_Peace_640_zpsfajcbhjj.gif

PS- He did say he "lost" some pixels transferring it from the card to his computer, which is why some areas have white spots. ;)

Nice, that is a good first attempt. A few initial comments to help improve: the pictures appear to be *just slightly* misaligned. A couple of them also appear out of focus. The movements of the lights could be a little bit smoother as well - you are looking for a smooth cartwheel effect. It appears you are using 2 lights? Try holding one constant and only moving one of them.

In short - really cool, and I can't wait to see further improvement! (This is also something that I would like to try)

Thanks guys! He asked me to take the pictures, so any out of focus are my fault. Thanks for the advice Jason, I did use 2 lights, rotating one about 45 degrees, and then the other. I think your way would work much better. Thanks again!! :grin:

PS- Any guess the grades on this one?(based solely on the obverse) We're not sure how much the light scratch on the neck would affect it's grade. :grin:

Thanks guys! He asked me to take the pictures, so any out of focus are my fault. Thanks for the advice Jason, I did use 2 lights, rotating one about 45 degrees, and then the other. I think your way would work much better. Thanks again!! :grin:

PS- Any guess the grades on this one?(based solely on the obverse) We're not sure how much the light scratch on the neck would affect it's grade. :grin:

The other thing you could do is try rotating both of the lights at the same time (rather than one and then the other).

I'd guess 63-64. The mark on the neck will bring it down, obviously, but it doesn't appear too severe.

You have the idea. A few things to fix, though. Try moving the lights simultaneously, use two lights that are the same color, and careful with the image registration. If you want to have one light stationary and the other moving, diffuse the stationary one so you get even, broad light over the coin, then move the other to get the cartwheel accents. You'll have to put the diffuse one closer (or the other farther away) so that the accent doesn't appear to bright. Fun, isn't it? :)

Toners might not produce the best results because of the unfortunate color quantization limit for GIFs. Better would have been if the world had adopted the APNG format, but that didn't happen.

This quantization might also be the reason for the pixel drop-out.

Thanks again everyone! Probably won't be till after the holiday till we can get a second try done. I'll post what we come up with using the suggestions given.

John- What do you mean by image registration? And yes, I have one fluorescent and one incandescent light (yes they do exist) I use. I'll try using 2 of each and see what happens. Thanks for all the other advice also.

Roger- Nobody wants to see that.......lots of ugly people around here....... ;)

Toners might not produce the best results because of the unfortunate color quantization limit for GIFs. Better would have been if the world had adopted the APNG format, but that didn't happen.

This quantization might also be the reason for the pixel drop-out.

Interesting.... thanks for saving me a lot of time... lol

It feels like you got a couple of the pictures out of order or something. There is an odd "jump" in the middle - it doesn't flow smoothly. The pictures are lined up better (and appear to be in focus), which makes this a good improvement. For the most part, you've got the luster cartwheeling nicely as well.... just work on the transition.

It feels like you got a couple of the pictures out of order or something. There is an odd "jump" in the middle - it doesn't flow smoothly. The pictures are lined up better (and appear to be in focus), which makes this a good improvement. For the most part, you've got the luster cartwheeling nicely as well.... just work on the transition.

+1 And I like it. I have a few coins of my own that I would like to try it on someday. I wonder how well this will work for PL and proof cameo coinage.

Well, we used one stationary light and rotated the other one around the coin. In the pics where the rotated light was behind the camera and stationary light it got dark areas on the coin, so we omitted them. That's probably the "jump" areas you see. I also don't know if he used all the pics around the coin or just half........

Kind of hard to find a good transition speed too. The program my son used (GIMP 2) has certain speeds you can use. Some seem too fast and some are too slow, just hard to find that sweet spot.

Back to the drawing board!!! :grin:

Looking good. The jump is a little distracting, though, as mentioned. Practice makes perfect.

As for doing this on proofs or cameos, the big payoff is with frosty luster, which isn't as strong on these types of coins.

I like it!

Here are a couple of my crude attempts at this.

The top one used image frames by Robec who adjusted lighting angles in each frame ...

1961_animation2.gif

Note that this next one is a DIFFERENT COIN from the above -- but it's another 1961 Proof Lincoln. I shot frames for this animation with my iphone, rolling the slab under the lighting ...

frames22_double.gif

NICE!!! Looks like you have the same problem as our first attempt, in that the coin appears to be moving. My son tried to show me how he did his, and he magnified the picture to a letter or something and overlaid each picture to line them up right.

The second one kind of reminds me of Heritage's 360 View clips. Pretty cool!!! :grin: