• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FSH: German Weimar Mint Error 25% Off Center NGC MS-65

2 posts in this topic

1892 Springfield Massachusetts, 1893 Masonic Building Dedication, Diesinker J.A. Bolen, 29mm Diameter, Reeded Edge, Aluminum, Musante-JAB-41 / Rulau-SPG-13, Raw Unc @ $OLD

Die sinker J.A. Bolen’s medals are highly collectable and always bring spirited bidding at auction. This design struck in 1892 for the 1893 dedication is Bolen’s final work. Struck in Aluminum which was a fairly new metal type just being becoming favorable as a affordable solution to tin/lead based white metal. As just a few decades earlier to the 1890’s aluminum was valued more than gold per ounce. Aluminum was promoted heavily in 1892-3 at the Columbian Exposition in Chicago for being lightweight, extremely strong, and not tarnishing. That being said almost every single example of this medal I’ve ever seen is cloudy and stained in shades of golden yellow or brown. The example offered here is fully bright and looks like it was just removed from the dies. Fully proof-like fields, spot free, with deep cameo contrast. This has been photographed intentionally to show the bag marks which blend into the buildings architectural details when viewed in hand. Contact marks are common on every example of this issue as all are just seen grading from AU to MS62 with none higher. Of the 465 struck this is most likely the nicest survivor shown imaged both straight on and slightly tilted to show the PL surfaces. The bluish tone is a reflection from my black camera body positioned 20" above as this medal is highly reflective at any angle. On this variety if you do a quick web search you'll see Dave Bowers example was nearly fully brown, Neil Musante’s was cloudy, and in TPG MS62 plastic these are now being offered for an ask of $500.00. Provenance wise this was part of an amazing Masonic token/medal collection formed in the 1920’s which was dispersed earlier this year and I had first shot to purchase a few rare and interesting pieces. Others will follow soon once I have a chance to write the descriptions or contact me via PM to inquire if your into Masonic medals.

2eojv6a.jpg

1871 Philadelphia Gun Club 25Th Anniversary Merchant Card, Miller-PA-326, Brass, 26mm Diameter, R-3, Raw UNC @ $OLD

A tougher example of American’s first Gun Club with semi proof-like surfaces & attractive patina. Next to Swiss Schutzen medals there are very few American firearm tokens or medals. Although the obverse has two spots they are not troublesome and it nevertheless has an extremely eye appealing presence in hand. This is the 4th example I've seen in brass as I also once handled and unlisted silvered brass variety. Scarcer then the rating applied by Benjamin Wright in 1901 who considered it a R-3 rarity and valued it for $6.00 a 113 years ago. Doing some research members would dress in their best suits for competitive single shot rifle shooting. They would bring their dogs, smoke cigars & pipes, drink hard liquor, all just to get away from their wives after church on Sundays.

fk8fx3.jpg

1880 Charles. W. Hamill & Co., Baltimore, Maryland, Miller-MD-67 / Rulau-Md-Ba-46 / Schenkman-MD-60-H15, Wright-417, Silvered White Metal, 28mm Diameter, Non holed, Raw CH-AU, Rarity-4 @ $350.00

Struck for and distributed at the Baltimore 150th anniversary celebration Charles W. Hamill & Company was among the most successful firms in the city as manufacturers of silver plated ware and fine metal work. These tokens are usually always seen holed for suspension and in really low abused condition. If you look at the obverse you can see a small guide circle for tapping at 12 o'clock right between CO. & MF. as this is part of the obverse die design. This is one of only four respectable examples I've seen and none in uncirculated condition even if holed. On this example the full silvering is intact and it has eye appealing pull-away patina. They are all seen with minor rim bumping. This is an extremely popular pictorial token which features the newly introduced circulation silver dollar design by George T. Morgan. These were struck by German born die-sinker Francis X. Kohler who was a medalist in Baltimore from 1851 until his death in 1886.

2l9tsnb.jpg

Unique Offset Double Struck 1907 Inauguration of Governor Edwin S. Stuart of Pennsylvania medal, AU @ $OLD

This keystone shaped semi proof-like almost uncirculated aluminum medal was struck twice with the first being out of collar. The offset of the first strike is pretty dramatic as can be seen by the obverse lower and side rim along with Stuart’s forehead. Trace ghosting of the offset first strike remains throughout the obverse and reverse fields. On the reverse you can see the O in OF nearly touching the dome of the capitol building and the 9 and 6 of the 1906 capitol building dedication date near the lower rim. Edwin Stuart was the elected mayor of Philadelphia in 1891 and the 26th Governor of Pennsylvania form 1907 to 1911. This medal is holed for suspension as issued to be worn at the inaugural celebration and measures approximately 1 ½” in width x 1 ¾” in height.

10qfcbd.jpg

General Terms & Notes: PM me for more details -

Coins above will all ship at my expense.

Coins over $1K will be mailed via USPS Registered Mail Insured -or- Next Day Air Insured.

Coins less then $1K will be mailed via 1st Class USPS Mail Insured w/ Delivery Confirmation.

All tracking info will be forwarded once in transit.

Payment Options = USPS or Bank Money Order, Cashiers Check, Personal Check, E Check, & Paypal (no fee % up-charge).

Trades at times depending on if of interest to me may be considered.

All Checks must clear prior to shipment.

7 Day full refund minus any associated shipping charges.

2sbokn5.jpgpiggy-bank.jpg

Extended terms available if your Piggy Bank is skinny, or hurt and healing?

As I can also offer extended 30-60-90 day terms, 1/3 down, no refund on layaway option.

A Reasonable Offer May Be Accepted on some items... the Key Word is Reasonable.

Full detailed in hand description on any of the item along with larger images available at request.

I'd greatly appreciate that posting of your most recent acquisition purchased from me on any forum board isn't done until the ink on the check is dry and you've happily received it.

I place a "On Hold" for three days max without a deposit on any item for members I've never dealt with, however if after this time period complete lack of responsive communication occurs, I reserve the right to offer the item to another active member.

Many Thanx in Advance! oarm2e.jpg

1922-A German Weimar 50 Pfennig, NGC MS-65, KM-27, Aluminum, Mint Error 25% Off Center @ $595.00

German early Weimar era mint errors are extremely tough to locate, especially on larger denominations as seen here along with being 25% off center and in Gem BU condition. This mint error is very dramatic and extremely eye appealing with full cartwheel luster and very light golden patina.

5f53j6.jpg

eug2o0.jpg