• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tell me about my two Peace Dollars

5 posts in this topic

I have these two in my collection. Just noticed somehow the pics got a reversed. The bright ones are the same coin and the duller one are the same coin.

1-2

2-1

is the pattern.

Is anything to be made of the reverse of the #2 coin being set to about 11:30 or so?

Peace1922Front_zpsc4fb99f1.jpg

Peace1922Reverse_zps3902a4a7.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Both coins appear to be Unc but not of particularly high grade. The "antique" looking one got it's dirty look from the environment it was kept in, the brighter one was probably kept in some protected way. I like Peace dollars that have "pop". These appear pretty ordinary based upon the pictures.

They are both quite common and maybe worth double bullion (if that). The rotation of the reverse is caused by a rotated die. It's common enough.

Tip for the day............ I see all those staples and I cringe. Frankly, I hate staples and coins. A very bad mix because contact of one with another in the 2x2 can damage coins. What I'd suggest is taking a needle nose pliers and crushing the reverses so the staples are flush. When removing a coin thats been stapled into a 2X2 I suggest breaking it out of the mylar rather than pulling it apart.

I just use 2X2 flips. I know there is (was) a company that used adhesive. I've had a few coins come in those through the years. They are tough as nails and make a nice seamless bond. Great for sets.

I found and bought a stapler that uses a slightly different size staple, and it cinches the ends tight when you staple it, so it does what pliers what pliers would do to these staples above, but no pliers, or extra steps needed. Worth it's weight in gold.