• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1937 Three Pence Proof Opinions Please

4 posts in this topic

I am curious what a matte proof three pence would look like. I have compared this with other 1937 proofs and none seem to look like this one, that I have found.

The first picture is of a PR64 and the closest comparison I have found, yet still the example I have shows a distinct difference according to my eyes.

Granted, the 1937 Three Pence Matte Proof is very rare indeed. According to NGC there are only 2 to 4 known, so I do not think this is one, but I am curious as to why the distinct difference (to me).

The PR64 from ThePurplePenny

TPP_Proof64.jpg

And then the one I have and am asking about

1937_King_George_VI_Proof_Three_Pence.jpg

The matte proofs were produced for photographic reasons only. They do not have reflective fields like your coin and the other coin posted. They have reduced detail and have a sandblasted look about them. Here is an example of a shilling from the same year, sold in June 2013 by Goldberg's for $2600.

775184l.jpg

Ah! That is a matte proof. OK.

Not even close then. Maybe the one I have pictured is partially cameo then and that is what makes it look different to me.