• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AT, NT or MA - you make the call...

20 posts in this topic

Oh yeah - and why... and if you are really good - how did it tone up like this ?

Not great seller photos. Coin in hand has much more luster - the centers are pinkish and the surrounding color is more baby blue. Go...

obverse.jpg

reverse.jpg

Interesting you ask about this coin right now.. I literally just sent one that looks almost identical to Shane for consignment, yours might be a little better though, further along, deeper color etc.........

My thoughts; 100% natural, and I for one feel like it got this way in the original mint holder, the one it came in.... somehow or another the coin was exposed to enough air that the oxygen allowed it to react with the "stuff" in the holder making it look like this.

oh.... I just noticed yours was a D mint b.s... I THINK MY ANSWER IS STILL THE SAME... lol.

The one I sent to shane is a proof. It is in a PF67 PCGS holder.

It looks very very similar to a handful of the modern clad, album toned half dollars I have found and slabbed. so maybe album, if there is a spot for this in any of the coin albums...

I just found a picture of the one I just sent off to Shane, bear in mind this is a terrible pic, I wasn't concerned with capturing the color at all, just the coin I was sending off for consignment... you can get an idea though...

20141202_115311_zps08d128e5.jpg

20141202_115316_zpsb7f81b10.jpg

The business strikes were in rectangular shaped cellophane.

My guess is this came from a commemorative collector that stored his coins in an album.

NT

It looks NT to the extent that I wonder why you would even ask.

Now that you mention it, that is a very good point.... I wonder the same thing now.

I am wondering what you are getting at Tonerguy? -I have an idea, but don't wanna jump to any conclusions.

It looks NT to the extent that I wonder why you would even ask.

Ive had NGC reject this same "look & feel" of toning and call it AT.

It looks very very similar to a handful of the modern clad, album toned half dollars I have found and slabbed. so maybe album, if there is a spot for this in any of the coin albums...

I just found a picture of the one I just sent off to Shane, bear in mind this is a terrible pic, I wasn't concerned with capturing the color at all, just the coin I was sending off for consignment... you can get an idea though...

20141202_115311_zps08d128e5.jpg

20141202_115316_zpsb7f81b10.jpg

Im gonna have to bid on that one now... lol. Pretty coin. I like toned modern commems - you just dont see that many.

Seems like everyone agrees on NT.

But surprisingly its not Dansco - though it does have the same look Dansco gives to clads...

Here is the aftermarket holder it came in... Ive never seen one like this before but Im gonna keep my eyes open for them.

$10 off EBay on a BIN - how could I say no to that...

IMG_2101.jpg

I think the coins is NT but you'll only really know if it's MA if you send it in.

The one thing I don't understand here is what does "AT, NT or MA" mean exactly? Those are actually two different questions: "Is it AT or NT" and "Is it MA or not MA". Those aren't necessarily the same things so the question is worded a bit odd.

jom

Jom - grammatical perfectionist - yes you're correct.

But I figured it could be NT and not be MA (see my comment above) just as well as it could AT and be MA (we all know there are AT coins in NGC and PCGS slabs). So I threw out MA as being a catch all.

I think the coins is NT but you'll only really know if it's MA if you send it in.

The one thing I don't understand here is what does "AT, NT or MA" mean exactly? Those are actually two different questions: "Is it AT or NT" and "Is it MA or not MA". Those aren't necessarily the same things so the question is worded a bit odd.

jom

Well, there are cases where the coin could be NT but not MA, and there are cases were a coin could be AT but still be MA.

There are also cases where nobody knows if its NT or AT, so the question really becomes "Is it MA?"

I see them as ranges on a spectrum. AT at the far left, MA in the middle, and NT on the right.

Jom - grammatical perfectionist - yes you're correct.

jom

Well, there are cases where the coin could be NT but not MA, and there are cases were a coin could be AT but still be MA.

There are also cases where nobody knows if its NT or AT, so the question really becomes "Is it MA?"

I see them as ranges on a spectrum. AT at the far left, MA in the middle, and NT on the right.

I'd agree with all but the last actually. Asking whether a coin is MA is not the same question as asking whether it's AT or NT. They are too different "subjects" so to speak. I don't see it as a grammatical mistake at all.

But, yeah, some coins could very well be NT and get bagged...and I'm pretty sure they are a good number of coins that are "AT" that have been slabbed and graded. In fact, I've got some pieces at PCGS right now that I know for a fact are NT and could very well get bagged. We'll see....

jom

AH Fr

Seriously, the fingers clearly show the one you post is AT.......

(shrug)

Best, HT

Can someone please help me out on this one (preferably HardTimes but im not picky) ?

Seriously though, I don't get it....