• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Medal or Coin Press on this example?

8 posts in this topic

Below is a common U.S Philadelphia Mint medal pressed in 1969, and I assume it was to celebrate the move to that location from the previous location. Due to that there were more than likely a huge mintage of these pieces.

My question to those that might know the answer, or even those that might think they know the answer - is it possible that this medal, which has a diameter of 38 mm might possibly have been pressed on a coin press instead of a medal press?

I ask this question since I noticed the quality of strike is very poor and actually reminds me of a large amount of the nickels that are pressed using older dies and have many flaws, whereas the medals that I have had limited experience with all seem to be consitent with the higher quality of a medal press.

What say you?

US_Mint_Independence_Mall_1969.jpg

Thanks for any opinions.

This is an example of the "make your own coin" that you could buy in the lobby of the Philadelphia Mint. You bought a blank planchet, they placed it between the dies, and you pushed a button to strike it. I know because I did it back in the day. And it was on what was probably an old coin press.

Hi Bill. Thank you for the explanation. I figured that something was not quite right with it.

I have another one that is still in a U.S. Mint sealed plastic 'bag' that I assume they distributed them in. I would have never thought that they were pressed by visitors but that makes sense and explains the poor pressing.

Thanks.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I'll just add that they were made for the Denver and San Francisco Mints, too. I believe they sold for $3 when I acquired my first examples in the 1970s.

I was a regular visitor to the Old SF Mint Museum in the 1980s-90s, using its splendid library to perform research for articles and for my books on Lincolns, Buffaloes and Mercuries. The library had a complete set of Mint Director Reports, and these were extremely useful.

I got to know the staff so well after awhile that they no longer supervised me, and I had the run of the place. As a treat, I was permitted to strike the first SFM medal from a fresh pair of dies. The old dies were being replaced due to erosion. The press used was an old, slow speed press of the arch style.

When I struck my medal at the Philadelphia mint in 1976 it was a different design, the mint building on one side and the treasury seal on the other. The other mints were the same way with the mint side being the local mint. I can't see why the Denver and San Francisco mints would be striking a medal of the Philadelphia mint.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Each mint struck only medals featuring that particular facility and carrying their own mintmarks. The Philadelphia medal was struck in Philly and likewise carried a P mintmark.

Yes, it was an old coining press similar to the one now in the forecourt of the ANA Headquarters.