• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Name a coin show that has carpeted floors and good lighting.

10 posts in this topic

I understand that the Boutique Show run by PCGS

in Las Vegas meets your criteria .

Never been to the show - but if I were out there I would

make it a point to make that show and attend the auction

hosted by Legend Coins.

I don't think I've ever been to a coin show that has both.

The recent NYC PNG Invitational had carpeted floors, I think, but the lighting wasn't that good, I thought. The overhead lighting was rather dim, so if a dealer didn't have table lights, he was SOL. Fortunately, I think everyone had table lights.

However, I recall reading somewhere that graders prefer that room light be dim, so they can use a table light - so perhaps the lighting was good from that point of view.

I like the lighting at the GSNA show and at Parsippany - a nice mix of florescents in the high ceiling and some sunlight coming in the windows. I'm not sure what the floors are, though - tile or wood, I think.

edited to add: the dealers usually have table lights at GSNA and Parsippany, too.

The Danbury show is held at the Ethan Allen hotel 2X a year and has the carpeting, with good not great lighting. Do any shows have the top quality lighting essential for viewing coins? The NH coin expo in Manchester has a high quality setting, not sure on the carpeting though. Also Ed Aleo's Baystate show.

Fort Worth CC / Cow Town Coin show (they share the venue, CC has 2x and CT has 3x a year) in Forest Hills, TX.

I've measured the light in the room as 600 to 1000 lux (ain't smart phones grand)

I've been to a few shows that met this criteria - and all of them occured in hotels. The meeting rooms of these hotels were well lit (I mean, not ideal - but no room lighting is ever going to be a proper substitute for a dedicated light on a dealer's table). They were also carpeted, and quite nice (I like that these types of shows are generally much quieter - the extra cloth absorbs so much sound).

Yes...the carpet tends to absorb the screams of agony when a low-ball offer is tendered for that beloved pipe-smoking Lincoln cent set.