• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There are NO Real PF70 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Halves

16 posts in this topic

I have just had time to take a close look at my five 2014 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half - Dollar Silver Sets. I have found what I would call a flaw on all twenty coins from the four US Mints. So it is not a set-up error or an isolated case. I was wondering if any one out there can explain what is happening here who has a better understanding of the minting process. And the way I see it from all I have been taught in my 50 years of collection, this flaw would, if every coin is like this, would knock any PF70 or MS70 or SP70 down a full point to 69. I am not kidding.

OK, pull out you new Kennedy Silver set and your loupe and take a close look at the rim on both sides. If they are like all of mine, you will not find one that has a uniform width on that top flat portion of the rim right next to the reeded edge. This area should also be textured or frosted with the same treatment as the reliefs depending on the coin.

I was under the impression that the rim was taken into consideration when grading a coin. And if that is true and if all of these halves have the same problems then according to the ANA grading standards none of these halves should get a 70 grade.

Please comment and tell me why I am wrong about this. And I hope that I am.

You're not taking the concept of MS70 = "perfect coin" literally are you?

Grading is subjective and with enough magnification and searching there are always flaws & irregularities. It doesn't take long to find all sorts of issues on coins in MS70 holders from both major TPGs.

It's also possible that all 20 of your coins, if submitted, would receive MS69 grades. ;)

You're not taking the concept of MS70 = "perfect coin" literally are you?

Grading is subjective and with enough magnification and searching there are always flaws & irregularities. It doesn't take long to find all sorts of issues on coins in MS70 holders from both major TPGs.

It's also possible that all 20 of your coins, if submitted, would receive MS69 grades. ;)

I think he has a valid point. It is the general perception of what a Grade of 70 is that is the problem, I think, especially in Market vs. Technical Grading. Sure it is subjective, but that is not the average perception.

This just in: "Truly perfect coin gets PF-70 grade"

Both PCGS and NGC publish their standards for the grade 70 and perfection isn't required. Do I like it? No. But that's the way they do it.

Depends on which page in Sheldon you read, then which disclaimer at the TPGs you read. You can avoid all this by sending coins to NNC grading and tell them what you want the coins to grade --- see? Easy!

Thanks for all the replies. I get it, flawless is not achievable and grading is a subjective field that can have many different opinions depending on any number of things on any given day.

You wouldn't see a Silver Eagle with a rim like that in a PR70 holder.

I guess the point I was trying to make, or better yet, why I was so surprised at what I found that I felt compelled to post it here is that in 2014, with all of the technology and computerized equipment the mint uses, I can't believe that out of twenty coins from four different facilities, not one had a even rim.

To me, that's hard to believe. We are not talking about a microscopic flaw, I can see this even without my glasses. All of the Clad Uncirculated Anniversary sets, same thing. So I am guessing that every 2014 Kennedy half is like this. Can anyone find one that isn't?

I just went through 20 Franklin Proofs and 18 out of 20 had perfectly even edges all the way around on both sides. How is the reeded edge put on these days? There must be something different going on here or QA QC is not as stringent as it once was.

If I understand what you are saying about the "imperfection" correctly, I for one have not even the slightest interest in whether or not the coin was minted on the exact center of the planchet or not... My opinion is that the reason you see that on your coins, and the coins in holders that are 70's, is because it is a non-issue....nobody cares enough to do anything about it, nor do they care enough to make that even the slightest consideration regarding the grade of an actual coin.

I get what you are saying and respect your opinion that a perfect coin should have that perfect geographic alignment on the planchet that becomes said coin... I don't see how or why that would matter, especially regarding the grade. I just don't think it ever has been an issue, nor will it ever be an issue... there are to many awesome things about coins to make this something that needs to matter/be considered/make a difference/etc..., IMO

I do however bet that there would most certainly be 2014 Kennedys out there (the ones in this 4 coin set you are talking about) that are absolutely, 100% perfectly centered on the planchet... looking at 20 IMO is a pretty small sample size to make the assumption that they all are "off centered"..

I own several MS and PF 70 coins that legitimately seem to have no post-die damage regardless of magnification. That's a 70 coin to me. Of course those coins aren't "perfect" relative to some Platonic ideal, but that's the fault of the die, the planchet, etc, not damage after the fact.