• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USB microscope advice

9 posts in this topic

So I don't want super expensive or super cheap....I want a solid good quality microscope I can use wth the computer and snap photos with.

Any suggestions?

CoinZip. You can use my name if you want.

Microscope.com. You can use my name if you want.

Stay away from the China knockoffs, and off brands, and the cheapos touted on various collector/hobby sites. The Drivers are horrible, no support,etc. You will be disappointed.

Make sure you get a version in which you can shut off the lights. I have a nice one, but the LED lights are always on and it's hard to take pictures of the entire coin due to the reflection.

I have a Dino-Lite, and it has been a major disappointment. It sits on my desk totally useless. I can't get the drivers to run it on my computer, and when it was working the lighting system made it useless for photographing slabbed coins. Everything just reflects back into the lens so that the pictures are useless. I could turn off the LED lights, but I could never get the white balance right when I used other light sources.

Be very careful with this purchase. I bought this thing at a FUN show where they show it running beautifully. Once you get it home, they provide you with no support. They won't help with external lighting despite the fact they have units that work very well at the shows. I have asked them at the shows if they sell the lights; they don't. I've asked them where I could buy them; they don't know. I feel like I was given a bait and switch.

Needless to say I am not a happy customer.

So this can't be used for photos. But for looking for RPMs, DDOs, and the like, I have one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Jeweller-60X-Pocket-Microscope-Jewelry-Magnifier-Loupe-Glass-LED-Light-/201228981754?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eda2e95fa

And it works great for the price. I've actually owned two, and both worked great. I burned out the light on the first one, and figured it was cheaper to buy a new one for $0.99 than to try to replace the battery.

One thing though...they generally ship from China or Hong Kong and take a loooong time to get to you...like a month.

I have a Dino-Lite, and it has been a major disappointment. It sits on my desk totally useless. I can't get the drivers to run it on my computer, and when it was working the lighting system made it useless for photographing slabbed coins. Everything just reflects back into the lens so that the pictures are useless. I could turn off the LED lights, but I could never get the white balance right when I used other light sources.

Be very careful with this purchase. I bought this thing at a FUN show where they show it running beautifully. Once you get it home, they provide you with no support. They won't help with external lighting despite the fact they have units that work very well at the shows. I have asked them at the shows if they sell the lights; they don't. I've asked them where I could buy them; they don't know. I feel like I was given a bait and switch.

Needless to say I am not a happy customer.

This is most likely not the Dino, if it is a Dino, and not a China knockoff. Your Driver settings, and Updates are most likely not installed. I don't know who you bought it from, but if you had contacted Microscope.com, or CoinZip, I am quite sure your experience would be better. I would even venture to state that if CoinZip sees this, he will be willing to help. If you want to pm me your computer particulars, I will also try to assist. Are you using XP? You must update from the free website. Does your Dino have a Disc? Did you buy an older version? When did you buy it? Is your computer configured for the Dino menu options?

The Drivers are readily available on line.

The lights system can also be managed from the built in menu.

You may have indeed been given a bait and switch, but don't blame Dino, blame the entity. I would also bet that the show price and what you received is a lot more than it would have cost at Micro or CoinZip.

I got a Dino last year. It works ok, but the lights are terrible. They can be only turned ON or OFF with the software, but the ON is way too much light and glare.

That is simply the Model you bought. There are a few excellent Models that also lets you adjust from the hand piece. Your issue can be rectified, and you can also upgrade. I would pm CoinZip here on the Boards.