• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need some 1861 O 50c education

4 posts in this topic

What is the difference between a Confederate issue and a Louisiana issue? I know the mint was taken over by the confederates but wouldn't there be a US issue and a CSA issue? Not sure what Louisiana issue, educate me!

Lyn

The New Orleans Mint was under the control of the US Government until Louisiana seceded at the end of January 1861; it was then under the control of the State of Louisiana for February and March. In April, Louisiana transferred control of the Mint to the Confederate Government.

So, even though the Mint was operated by the same officers and staff during this period, it acted under the authority of three governments.

If you click on the link in my signature line (below) and then go to the article on the New Orleans Mint, you can read more about it.

I do need to update the article - Randy Wiley has traced the emission sequence of the 1861-O half dollars, so you can get closer to determining under which government a particular half dollar was struck.

Not really, there has been a lot more uncovered since that book came out. At that time they only listed for vareties, Today, including the CSA half dollar, they list 15 different varieties produced at New Orleans in 1861. And they have determined which varieties were issued by which government (2 by the US, 6 by Louisiana, and 6 by the Confederacy, plus the CSA half dollar.)