• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MSNS Fall Show Report

14 posts in this topic

My travel plans began Wednesday night as my family and I headed from Midland to Davidson for the holiday weekend with the in laws. That shaved 1 hour 20 mins off travel to the show so I was fine with that! What I wasn't fine with was my wife realizing she left her purse and my credit cards at home ...yikes!!!

Morning of show we arrive right as doors are opening and are greeted by a sign that requires ID to get into the show. My wife obviously has no ID but I was able to get some dealers to vow for her. Right off the bat it was crowded. Crowded doesn't always translate into buying and selling but in this case many checks and dollar bills were being sent across the table. I wasn't set up so I can't say for sure but I'd guess the dealers that made the trip were happy they did.

WHY I DONT COMPETE IN THE DIME REGISTRY

Many pretty toned Roosevelt dimes and Mercs were present at this show. Very nice change of pace to say the least. However, I left with none of them!!! Of the five that I thought were exceptional, three of them had gashes that were distracting on the cheek. All five were graded 67 or better. One in particular was graded in the last two weeks. It was found in a Wayte Raymond. The dealer had the pages and no book set in his case with five Roosevelt dimes he really liked in brand new holders. I asked to see his MS67+ that was quite appealing in the case. It had a price of $350 and I was prepared to pay that until I realized that it had a very distracting scratch on the cheek. Turned out it wasn't even for sale by itself anyways. You had to buy the whole set!!!! So why put a price tag on it??? Anyhow I asked when he got it graded and he let me know it was within the last two weeks. Quick look at coin facts revealed the coin is on there. All too often is see Merc and Roosevelt's with color getting insane bumps in grade. Many times with a green sticker.

Here is the coin. Marks on cheek are more noticeable in hand without magnification.

29745485_41860651_2200_zpsatkgzunc.jpg

MY JOURNEY WITH CWT's HAS GROWN LEGS

I recently been cutting my teeth on patriotic CWT's. Brandon has been very helpful here via PM's but I was hoping to find some books at the show to learn more. I found some books and then found something better! President of the CWTS was there and spent plenty of time showing me things! Very very helpful gentleman and had plenty of both attractive and rare tokens to share with me. I ended up purchasing one raw and one slabbed token from him. I look forward to adding more in the future.

BAD LIGHTING STRIKES AGAIN

Its embarrassing to write this, but maybe I can help somebody in the future. I bought another monster toned coin with a spot! Its a 1941 proof Lincoln with lights out colors. The toning, mixed with bad lighting, mixed with liquid surfaces hid a spot in Lincolns jacket. Its graded 65RB, but I can't look at the coin the same now. Frustrating because it was one of two coins I bought for my collection.

PLENTY OF COINS TO FLIP

You guys like unique wild colored coins??? There were enough there to choose from. I purchased more that I wanted both raw and slabbed! Seems dealers are catching on to what people like?

THANKS TO THE ANA

The display of the 1804 Dollar and 1913 Nickel left much to be desired, but I still thank them for bringing the coins and giving us an opportunity to enjoy the coins. I've always been told that the 1913 Nickels are nothing special in person. I agree, not very eye appealing!!! The 1804 Dollar however captured about 5 mins of my uninterrupted attention! Gorgeous coin!!! Looked like a proof to me! No spots and beautiful blue and purple patina danced on the surfaces! Thank again ANA!!!

I took pics.... they don't do either coin justice!

IMG_20141129_124712_zpsmvhfanab.jpg

MY SOLE PERSONAL COLLECTION PURCHASE

As stated above I spent way more than I expected. Many to flip and two for myself. With the spot on the Lincoln I'm left to just one coin for myself. This coin was hiding in the corner where no light could touch it. When he handed it to me I braced myself for the price. GREYSHEET BID!!! I didn't feel right dickering so I accepted. No doubt its under graded!!! My pics are not very good but it screams! Dazzling orange and olive luster mixed with bright magenta and emerald patina. Holders scratched up pretty good on reverse so a regrade is in order :-)

PART95141728210782895IMG95201411289521560769395HDR_zpsrhzmahrm.jpg

Hope you all had a great holiday weekend!!!

Yeah, from my experience, there aren't as many Roosevelts for sale at coin shows as there are Morgans and Peace dollars. However, I have noticed a significant uptick in high end Roosies coming up for sale on eBay. I'm not sure why. I know Paul Kirlay is selling off his collection. But I don't think they are all from him.

Nice report.

I'm happy to found some toners at a show. Around here it appears Dealers either keep them for themselves or offer the less attractive ones for sale with the eyepopping ones sold.

Nice Roosie and Injun.

Sounds like a good show and you enjoyed yourself! Show lighting is a constant failure, but few promoters listen.

Great show report. I was there all three days. Friday traffic was quite good, then dropped some on Saturday and again on Sunday, which is normal

I was glad to read in the CWTS Journal that Paul Cunningham is reprising his role as President of the CWTS. He always seems to have nice stuff. He is hard at work on his new book on Lincoln medals and tokens. Got to sit and review a draft of the first eight chapters.

I've been to a lot of shows. Typically you have to put your name on a badge. Sometimes they want you to fill out a card with your address and how you heard about the show. Sometime they charge admission. But I think this is the first time I've had to present a photo id. I asked why they had to have the ID and they said it was an NSA requirement! NSA??

And the 1804 dollar looks like a proof because it is a proof.

And the 1913 V nickels, although they are now all called proofs, are actually business strikes. And the coin in the ANA collection is the McDermott specimen, the only one that is less than MS.

The times I've been asked to show a photo ID to enter a coin show I've been told it was a requirement of their insurance company.

Perhaps you mis-heard what they said?

I've been to a lot of shows. Typically you have to put your name on a badge. Sometimes they want you to fill out a card with your address and how you heard about the show. Sometime they charge admission. But I think this is the first time I've had to present a photo id. I asked why they had to have the ID and they said it was an NSA requirement! .

Trust me when I say NSA had nothing to do with it. Sometimes it's crazy what comes out of some people's mouths.

ps . It was good to see you again.

Perhaps you mis-heard what they said?

No I didn't mis-hear because when I heard that I questioned it and they confirmed National Security Agency. I just assumed they were lying about it. (And I don't like that they were lying about a serious question.)

No I didn't mis-hear because when I heard that I questioned it and they confirmed National Security Agency.

Well, that's just stupid (or crazy).

I could understand it if their insurance company or security company had a name sort-of like "National Security Agency", but if they were really serious about it being an NSA requirement, I would move away from them slowly, but purposefully! ;)