• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this the "In God We Rust" quarter?

11 posts in this topic

Nothing neat in my Wisconsin's but going through my Kansas Quarters I found one of these. Is this the oil filled "In God We Rust" error variant?

This is obviously a circulated coin. Does my plant to throw it in a flip cover and show it off sound thing? One thing, I didn't even see any on ebay. Does that mean they are they that common or rare?

InGodWeRust_zpsa38c4c64.png

Coins with missing letters are generally referred to as "grease-filled die" errors.

They are generally regarded as interesting curiosities that are fun to collect when encountered, but don't generally bring a premium among collectors.

Cool. I might hang onto it. To a total novice like me it is at least as interesting as extra trees. Guess it is not as rare.

My scanner made it absolutely obvious. IRL from some angles it looks almost normal, from some it looks like the scan.

Cool!

Well, I'm not a total novice and I still keep the grease-filled die errors I find.

Not everything in numismatics has to be serious, sometimes I collect things "just for fun"!

Mark,

When I was actively searching Mint bags of state quarters for errors, the CA SQ's seemed to have a high percentage of die chips in the lettering and other devices. When I finally found one coin that had a large die chip on the brim of John Muir's hat while the California Condor was soaring above, I decided to group them all into one category........Condor Doo-doo!

By the way, the Utah SQ's also have an unusually high percentage of die chips.

They're not worth much, but do make interesting conversation pieces.

Chris

I will certainly watch out for the Condor doo-doo lol.

And true. I was wondering what value something would have to have for me to sell it instead of keeping the oddity.

All it takes is one bidiot to buy it and two bidiots to drive the price through the roof.

Chris