• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old Silver Commemoratives

15 posts in this topic

I am really starting to enjoy the older Silver Commemoratives and wanting to start collecting them. But.......there is a wide variance in populations and affordable grades. So how would you recommend me to start collecting them? What should I look for and avoid? Thanks all

I like the variety of the coins, and the fact that they commemorate our great country. As I grow older and learn about our history I am becoming more appreciative of our history and the people and events that formed this great experiment.

I have frequently thought this is the series to pursue, given the beating they've taken over the last fifteen years or so. If you can budget for it, target coins only in MS-66 or better. There's enough unwanted pieces out there that "bargains" can be had at just about any show.

While some of the people and events commemorated are rather dubious, the series does showcase some of the best numismatic artwork that's been produced by the mint (as well as a few clunkers). Figure out what your goal is for collecting them, and then see if it's a reasonable goal for your budget. Stick with attractive coins, and be patient.

I started my classic commem collection attempting to collect the 50 piece type set but have now decided there are just too many designs I don't find appealing and would rather spend that money on other series. I'm probably going to sell off some of my collection and only keep/pursue the 15 or so coins I really like.

Also note that, while commems are a "good bargain" if you want untoned examples, toned pieces can carry very high premiums.

Collect what you like...some commemorative designs are excellent, many are good and to echo Messydesk, there are a bunch of clunkers, too.

Maybe you could make a "Commemorative Clunkers" set? Would be an interesting display if you add the fraud and chicanery information.

I am really starting to enjoy the older Silver Commemoratives and wanting to start collecting them. But.......there is a wide variance in populations and affordable grades. So how would you recommend me to start collecting them? What should I look for and avoid? Thanks all

While I would try to collect higher graded pieces for the more common issues, I would also look more to eye appeal. There are plenty of coins out there to choose from as demand has been depressed from former highs. I think a fun set would also create the original packaging and related memorabilia if you are interested in history and having a nice presentation, but this can also be costly and storage might be an issue.

Maybe you could make a "Commemorative Clunkers" set? Would be an interesting display if you add the fraud and chicanery information.

I might actually start a fraud and chicanery in American coin and currency collection. Do you have any recommendations? I would include some of these, currency from Andrew Jackson's pet banks/some wildcat banks, a racketeer nickel and a normal counter example, etc.

Several of the commemoratives are fodder under which hide crooks... Check any of the Commem books for the basic stories, then consult LeeG for the inside info.

One of the best skulduggery commems is L. W. Hofer's "map from Jacksonfille, FL to my coin shop in El Paso via US 90" commem under the auspices of tying an old Spanish explorer with some route referred to as the Old Spanish Trail, even when said explorer was never near any routes referred to by that name, including the pictured highway. Somewhere, I have a parody sketch that I made of a coin commemorating Hernando De Soto's discovery of a route from the Mississippi River headwaters to Max Mehl's shop via I-35.

As John (Messydesk) stated, many commems are very artistic. I'd start with the ones whos design appeals to you. There are many to chose from and the set will be quite large if you choose to complete it. You may decide not to complete the set and if that's the case, at least you'll have coins in your collection that appeal to you from both a design stand point and technical/eye appeal stand point.

I'd also buy a book on the series so you can become more familiar with the background of each coin.

When I was finishing my 50 piece set about 10 years ago, I had about 10 left that were my least favorite designs. I had to do something to keep me interested, so I concentrated on color for these last ones. That led me to a few changes along the way towards color. Prooflikes were also added, but these were mostly untoned.