• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Someone can submit my coin to PCGS?

20 posts in this topic

I want to know if someone is able to submit my coin to PCGS, I will pay for fees and all. It's toned 1999 S cameo proof Roosevelt. I want to submit it to NGC, but I highly doubt that NGC will grade it. I think PCGS may will grade it. If one of you can do that for me, please let me know on PM. Thank you!

I submit to both services depending on the coin and the expected outcome. I don't have a submission yet but expect to by Christmas.

I agree with physics-fan3.14, Why would you want to have a $1 coin graded? Further, if it has toning worthy of grading, with NGC you might get a star. They don't use that feature over there on the other side of the country.

I read the previous post from advance search on here NGC forum, someone mentioned: NGC don't grading the toned modern coins i.e. American Eagle, and PCGS does? I am just asking.. It's not hurting to ask since I am still a rookie here.

I bought it for $15, I see why not to buy it and keep it in grading slab for a long time.

f133da52-69ea-40c3-9518-b050a2ccd351_zpsb8e23f10.jpg25a15c99-b87c-4257-b167-3321d08ed4cc_zpsecd8f18f.jpg

It actually has blue and purple ring and yellow/gold in the middle on obverse, and full of yellow/gold on reverse.

I don't think it is worth the costs personally, but then again, it wouldn't be the first time I underestimated a modern proof toner. If you are looking to keep it, I personally would keep it in an airtight, or if you can find one, the Intercept Shield 2x2s. These were once available for a buck or so, but I cannot guarantee you'll be able to find the latter as the company appears to have ceased operations.

I read the previous post from advance search on here NGC forum, someone mentioned: NGC don't grading the toned modern coins i.e. American Eagle, and PCGS does? I am just asking.. It's not hurting to ask since I am still a rookie here.

NGC grades modern toners. It was recalcitrant to grade many of the ASEs that PCGS once graded as market acceptable, but that is an isolated example IMO. Also, it appears to me at least, based on my observations, that PCGS is tightening up on the ASEs as I explained in that thread.

In short, I would be very careful in reading too much into that thread or some of the toner thread posts. While some of them may be fine, some of them are sketchy IMO.

All right, I will do that to put it in intercept shield.

Don't PCGS and NGC use the machine to detecting the chemical on coins (to identify it as AT or cleaning coins)?

PCGS uses the Coin Sniffer™ on their Secure Plus™ slabs. Now that you know the name...google.

All right, I will do that to put it in intercept shield.

Don't PCGS and NGC use the machine to detecting the chemical on coins (to identify it as AT or cleaning coins)?

I don't see any benefit to submitting it under PCGS's Secure Plus tier.

Yeah first of all, I for sure wouldn't pay extra for a PCGS "secure slab". And as far as PCGS versus NGC, I won't make any direct statements one way or another, other than just share my own personal expirience with you, I have certified quite a handful of modern proofs and business strikes in the last 3 months (maybe 20 toners or so), Not one of those naturally toned (album toned) modern coins made it into a slab at NGC.... They all made it into slabs at PCGS... the ones that were "details" at NGC were cracked and sent to PCGS... every one of those graded on first try. So yeah.... for whatever possible reason it could be, I would say it absolutely makes a difference between NGC & PCGS. The issue about cost, and anyone who might quickly assume that they aren't ever worth grading, I graded a bunch of mine twice, and although I didn't make a killing on those particular coins, I certainly didn't lose money, and i learned potentially very valuable lessons moving forward.

Just my thoughts, based on my very recent expirience....

Good luck

Yeah first of all, I for sure wouldn't pay extra for a PCGS "secure slab". And as far as PCGS versus NGC, I won't make any direct statements one way or another, other than just share my own personal expirience with you, I have certified quite a handful of modern proofs and business strikes in the last 3 months (maybe 20 toners or so), Not one of those naturally toned (album toned) modern coins made it into a slab at NGC.... They all made it into slabs at PCGS... the ones that were "details" at NGC were cracked and sent to PCGS... every one of those graded on first try. So yeah.... for whatever possible reason it could be, I would say it absolutely makes a difference between NGC & PCGS. The issue about cost, and anyone who might quickly assume that they aren't ever worth grading, I graded a bunch of mine twice, and although I didn't make a killing on those particular coins, I certainly didn't lose money, and i learned potentially very valuable lessons moving forward.

Just my thoughts, based on my very recent expirience....

Good luck

+1 - I will reiterate that I have had almost the exact same experiences as AHFreak with grading modern toners at NGC and PCGS. over the past year.

And just so you are assured a profit on your coin, I will pay you $75 for that coin, toned as shown and in a PCGS graded slab, if you decide to sell it. That should just about double your money with grading fees & shipping.

All I will say is that IF you want it to be slabbed, for whatever reason, then slab it.

If you are doing it for a profit, you may not win. However, if you want it for protection, coolness, etc, and you are ok throwing the money away doing it, then do it.

I had a coin that was in a third world slab that I thought wouldn't grade at PCGS but may at NGC. I don't have submission privileges to NGC (this was years ago) and asked for help.

Someone volunteered...looked at the coin...and recommended NOT doing it.

I listened and let the coin sit for a few years. It nagged on me and I got to where I didn't like the coin anymore.

I cracked it out, sent it in to PCGS where I do have submission privileges and a voucher, and used the sniffer (voucher could do secure+ at no additional cost...wouldn't have paid for it on my own otherwise).

Came back graded, same grade as the third world holder, and because I was already so built up at not wanting the coin because of the doubt put in my head, I sold it...just barely covering what I had into it, at a local show.

So, go for it if you want it. If it isn't for a "profit" right now, then don't let others stop you unless the money is an issue.

I bought a 1934 Washington quarter at the Naugatuck show on the weekend; fabulous toning but too "colorful" to be real I thought maybe. I showed it to several sharp dealers who thought the toning was real, it is already on its way to NGC grading. Yes PCGS is more liberal with colorful toning but not ridiculously so. I am a PCGS authorized dealer, I could send you a submission form which would involve grading fees and return shipping. Actually there are some very dedicated collectors on the PCGS forum who do this for collectors so your cost will be minimal with bulk submissions. Considering how individualistic and every man for themselves this hobby sometimes is, getting a dealer to include it on a submission would be a good idea. In this state the two main brick and mortar dealers, Guilford Coin is always willing to get coins submitted at cost for collectors, while Sam Sloats to my knowledge has never offered to do submissions for collectors.

And just so you are assured a profit on your coin, I will pay you $75 for that coin, toned as shown and in a PCGS graded slab, if you decide to sell it. That should just about double your money with grading fees & shipping.

OP, I would take him up on this. Better yet, since the poster who made that offer has proclaimed his expertise in all things related to toning in several other threads in recent months, perhaps he would just give you $60 outright (the submission fee is $15) and he could submit it with his next submission where the increased shipping and handling would be de minimis.

On another note, I think the coin would slab if someone cared to submit it to PCGS.

I am not planning to sell it, I just want to get it slabbed for protection and sit in my slab box for years, that's all.

I am not planning to sell it, I just want to get it slabbed for protection and sit in my slab box for years, that's all.

Smart man. Hold onto it if it gets into a PCGS slab. Hopefully this wont be the last modern toner you find and you will begin to collect them.

As you can see they are often over looked by some collectors that just buy older coins. IMHO most of the "fun" of collecting is "making a coin." Few can do that - even those that say they know toning - even fewer can do it with modern toners. Many people just buy already slabbed overpriced toned coins with huge premiums. Anyone can do that. Its like hunting on a game preserve or fishing in a stocked lake. Kinda takes the challenge out of it. All that takes is money.

Keep with it and your $10 coin + grading fees will return a nice profit someday.

If you want to protect the coin, there are much more economical ways to do so.