• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In 2113 should there be a special coin...

9 posts in this topic

I never understood the use of a commemorative coin to commemorate a coin. The JKF pieces I can see because it was tied to an underlying historical event - JFK's 1963 assassination. This would take it too far IMO.

You contradicted yourself. JFK was assassinated in 1963. The JFK commemoratives commemorate 50 years of the Kennedy half dollar...1964-2014. Not 50 years since the assassination.

I am not disagreeing with your premise of not liking these recycled designs, but the JFK commemorative is commemorating a coin.

I never understood the use of a commemorative coin to commemorate a coin. The JKF pieces I can see because it was tied to an underlying historical event - JFK's 1963 assassination. This would take it too far IMO.

You contradicted yourself. JFK was assassinated in 1963. The JFK commemoratives commemorate 50 years of the Kennedy half dollar...1964-2014. Not 50 years since the assassination.

I am not disagreeing with your premise of not liking these recycled designs, but the JFK commemorative is commemorating a coin.

What I was saying, albeit inartfully, is that there is at least some relevance to an important historical event. Although to play devil's advocate, I suppose one could argue the same about Native American culture.