• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Complete US Coin Registry Set

9 posts in this topic

This topic was placed under NGC Registry, However I thought I would put it here to see how many

would be interested in this.

The original author was asking for all coins, I add I was interested in just the Modern say starting in 1932 as for me these are the most affordable and obtainable in high grades.

If the set doesn't include all dates and mints, it's not "complete". So if you want to propose something other than that, you should include a different name for the set, as well. ;)

Also, what one person considers to me "modern" (like 1932), another might consider to be old.

I collect all 144 Classic Commemoratives, and I consider the Booker T Washington and Washington Carvers modern. I don't much care for either issue, especially considering how many dates and mint marks were made.

If someone wanted to consider a Complete US Coin Registry set, perhaps it could include one coin from each series denominations.

I collect all 144 Classic Commemoratives, and I consider the Booker T Washington and Washington Carvers modern. I don't much care for either issue, especially considering how many dates and mint marks were made.

If someone wanted to consider a Complete US Coin Registry set, perhaps it could include one coin from each series denominations.

Seems to me that we have this already in the 7070 and/or other type sets. Imo a complete US set should be just that, complete, every date and mm for each and every coin that was minted by the US mint for US commerce. This would exclude proofs, medals, commems, etc as they were not intended for daily use.

My thought on a Modern complete set was every date and mint mark of Cent,Nickel,Dime,Quarter,Half,Dollar excluding Commems, Bullion, Gold and Varieties. I said starting in 1932 as it was the start of the Washington quarter series and is good short sets in the others.

This is the set I would be interested in. There could be others of course. Add a category called "Complete","Major" or "Large" sets. It could even be a compilation of sets, that is a list of existing sets.

For my type collection, I choose to use the pre-defined 7070 type set that NGC has as part of it's registry. Otherwise, I am a big fan of NGC's user defined custom sets. I have started several theme based sets that I populate as I locate and discover coins that fit a theme. For instance I am very pleased with my "Seated Imagery" custom set that is populated with coins featuring seated images from nearly every continent and age.

Gary

Imo a complete US set should be just that, complete, every date and mm for each and every coin that was minted by the US mint for US commerce. This would exclude proofs, medals, commems, etc as they were not intended for daily use.

This is one way to construct the set, basically what Eliasberg did. Another possibility is to add in the different major variations that exist in the various competitive registry sets.

A third way, and my preference, would be a comprehensive set that consists of every distinct US coin slot that exists anywhere in the various NGC registry sets. Our understanding of what completeness means has grown since Eliasaberg, so it would be appropriate to set the bar higher I think.

It would then be interesting to see how close anyone could possibly come to such a complete set, and I would enjoy tracking my own miniscule progress. I'm guessing no one could do much better than 95% in our lifetime but who knows.

I have a complete U.S. type set, from the half cent to the twenty dollar gold piece according to the NGC registry set definitions from 1792 to the present. I also have a type set of all of the "old" commemorative coins ... one of each design from the 1892 Columbian half dollar to the $50 Pan-Pac gold pieces.

That's as far as I am going to go. There are some other sets that interest me, but even if I had the money, some sets of coins simply do nothing for me. It would be like buying "stuff." For example in the 19th century, the Nickel Three Cent Piece is, to me, truly boring. I have one for type, and that is enough. Thank goodness one in Proof-66 is not that expensive.