• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC GRADING

9 posts in this topic

This is a 2014 W ASE MS70 as you can see and I purchased it awhile back. I can only think it was done on a Friday or there was a big rush and slipped by. It was purchased when they first started selling on EBay.

I never noticed this flaw until I upgraded my camera and lighting (still trying out different camera settings and different kinds of lighting). Glad I am retired!!

It's hard to believe this would slip by so easy because after finding this I was able to see it with just my cheap magnifying glass.

Some may think no big deal but if I was to bring it to a dealer I bet he would tell me it should have been graded lower or not at all. I would think if you buy an MS70 which is defined as being perfect, there should not be any flaws. I have seen coins graded MS69 because of just a small nick! I look at it this way--it says MS70 so I will in my thought believe it is.

I am not disappointed with NGC. I still will purchase coins that are graded by them. This could be that one coin out of a thousand and that is still good odds.

Has this happened to anyone else?

5396d388-4f8a-4c8e-9ca8-54edb67868f8.jpg

54f866e5-e5f4-4c95-b7f6-b6d0708c17c2.jpg

3777a84f-c603-482b-b65b-e74330606e12.jpg

PCGS and NGC do not require that coins be perfect in order to be graded 70.

I can't tell if the flaw on your coin is mint-made or man-made, but I suspect the former. And in the case of the former, grading companies are often more forgiving.

Definition:

A coin graded MS-70 is the perfect coin. Has very attractive sharp strike and original luster of the highest quality for the date and mint. No contact marks are visible under magnification. There are no noticeable hairlines, scuff marks, or defects. Eye appeal is attractive and outstanding. If copper, the coin is bright, with full original color and luster.

Definition:

A coin graded MS-69 has very attractive sharp strike and full original luster for the date and mint, with no more than two small non-detracting contact marks or flaws. No hairlines or scuff marks can be seen. Has exceptional eye appeal. If copper, the coin is bright, with original color and luster.

What is a 70? NGC defines a Mint State or Proof 70 coin as having no post-production imperfections at 5x magnification.

I think there might of been a small air bubble just below the surface of the coin blank and after it was struck the skin imploded from the metal being stretched and that is the result of the flaw.

I am not looking for the coin to be worth more, I am just trying to get an understanding of the cause of the flaw and the reason it was graded MS70.

Thank you all for your response's.

Definition:

A coin graded MS-70 is the perfect coin. Has very attractive sharp strike and original luster of the highest quality for the date and mint. No contact marks are visible under magnification. There are no noticeable hairlines, scuff marks, or defects. Eye appeal is attractive and outstanding. If copper, the coin is bright, with full original color and luster.

Definition:

A coin graded MS-69 has very attractive sharp strike and full original luster for the date and mint, with no more than two small non-detracting contact marks or flaws. No hairlines or scuff marks can be seen. Has exceptional eye appeal. If copper, the coin is bright, with original color and luster.

What is a 70? NGC defines a Mint State or Proof 70 coin as having no post-production imperfections at 5x magnification.

I think there might of been a small air bubble just below the surface of the coin blank and after it was struck the skin imploded from the metal being stretched and that is the result of the flaw.

I am not looking for the coin to be worth more, I am just trying to get an understanding of the cause of the flaw and the reason it was graded MS70.

Thank you all for your response's.

That's not NGC's (nor PCGS's) definition of 70.

From the NGC website:

"What is a 70? NGC defines a Mint State or Proof 70 coin as having no post-production imperfections at 5x magnification."