• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just Because posted by Jackson

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

sometimes there is no reason

I'll keep this journal entry short and sweet.

The title refers to my latest purchase. The coin fits no set; it is in an old series, small ANACS holder; it can't even be listed into my registry coin manager to be added into my overall collection.

I bought it "just because." If I must give a reason, it was for the simple enjoyment of holding it in my hand and looking at it through a loupe and turning it under the light and watching the different colors appear and disappear as the light hit at different angles. Maybe someday I will cross it over into an NGC slab and see if it may garner a "star" to go with the MS65 grade--but then again, these old ANACS slabs are getting scarcer as the years go past so I may just leave it as is.

The other coin venture I'm involved in has hit a big snag. If you remember when I last wrote, I was involved in selling a large estate of modern coins. I had done very well with the gold and platinum coin submissions. I had sold much of the mint wrapped rolls to fellow collector six mile rick, several of the gold commems and buffalos but not nearly half of the hoard.

The snag? The huge silver and gold paper price manipulation on WS has really dropped the market price of silver & gold ( even though the mint is sold out of ASE's for the year) --at one point down to $15.20 an ounce for silver--not a sellers market. Most of what I have to sell are the Silver Commem dollars from 1982 thru 2012--every issue, silver proof sets from 1992 thru 2012 ( about 5 of each)and lots of other silver and gold mint issued sets. I have let the owner of the coins/estate know the issue and they decided to just set the selling aside until the pendulum swings back.

So that's it. Selling of the estate coins are on hold for now. I'm going out of the country for 2 weeks anyhow and then the holidays will be here taking my time. It is quite likely that my odd purchase may be my last for a while ( unless one of my "really want list" coins pops up). Here's a picture of my newest Walker-- a 1941 common date, anacs slabbed and graded MS65.....

16112.jpg

See more journals by Jackson

Not sure that I understood your comment--unless it was meant to be insulting ( in which case it failed)

Here is the sister coin of the one I purchased. The 1942 MS65 just sold at the Stacks auction for $587...not bad for a "dirty coin" begging "what else"....

http://www.stacksbowers.com/browseauctions/lotarchive.aspx?AuctionID=6039&Lot=15340

151069.jpg.6319ea34ed09740c47475c5e20993596.jpg

Jackson,

Congrats, sensational PQ Walker, I absolutely love it!

Also, I have never seen a coin described in a positive manner as "dirty" in any numismatic auction lot description or article, so also don't understand the comment.

Rich

thanks Rich..the photo I took does make the coin look darker than it is in hand. Here is the photo of which I bought the coin--and more closely resembles in hand. As one can see, the darker areas on the coin in my poor imaging are actually deep deep colors of hunter green, orangish/gold and a deep plum tone...the lighter areas are attractive scarlet blush and the luster can still be seen easily as it blooms from the less toned areas toward the center.

I felt that the unique way that the toning encrusted deep in the folds of the skirt lines and outlined lady liberty really highlighted thdepth of the sculpted design----this is the way I see the coin. I guess other's tastes may simply view it as "dirty" looking....to each their own.

151070.jpg.da4a89add67758e6b57b1e5e357eb874.jpg

Greetings Jackson!

Nice Walker! "Just because" is a perfectly good reason for anyone to buy coins. In the past, I have also bought coins for no other reason than "just because". If the coin isn't going to be part of a registry set, I'd leave it in its old ANAS holder. I own two details graded gold coins in old ANACS holders and they are going to stay there. I see no sense to cracking them out only to see them in a "purple label" NGC holder.

Gary

I may be dead wrong, but I think people use the term "dirty" when referring to a coin that has blotchy uneven toning and kind of has a rusty look to it.

I'm not a huge lover of toned coins. I would be searching forever for the perfect color palette and while I have seen some beautiful Morgans, most toned ones seem to fall into the dirty category. That's just my opinion and I know there are plenty out there that will pay a premium for them. That's kind of how I am with Morgan Dollars but my preference is blast white with no tone at all.

One coin I think looks magnificent toned is the Buffalo Nickel. I have personally seen some of the most beautiful rainbow color coins from this set. Also deep, deep blue toning. Incredible!

If I had the means I would start working on a high end Buffalo toned set in a heartbeat!

Happy Collecting and thanks for sharing your coin with us!

Bo-