• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ever Get Anxious When Someone is Bidding Too Much on a Coin?

12 posts in this topic

I have several eBay auctions ending today. One is a 1949-P Roosevelt dime (which I say is only EF) that someone has bid $10.00 on. I think this is way too much for this coin.

This happens sometimes and I always get anxious that the bidder will end up with buyer's remorse. And then I'll have to deal with a negative or neutral feedback situation. I understand that the buyer really shouldn't have any reason to leave negative feedback, unless I've misrepresented the coin in some way or took too long to ship. But I've had feedback in the past referencing a coin's price, even though the auctions started at $0.01.

I've also had instances where I thought the final bid was too high and the buyer simply never paid. And then had to deal with opening an eBay case to recover listing and final sale fees.

Have you ever felt anxious about a bid that you thought was too high? Or am I over-thinking things?

Here's the link to the auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161479313363?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

By the way, I am planning to let the buyer know that I think the final bid is too high once the auction is over even though I am confident about the coin's grade.

I don't think you need to tell the buyer his bid is too high. If he's happy with it, let him go with it - its his choice.

I agree. People need to learn on their own, and it's not your place to guide them.

Besides, although it might not be the case here, there might be something about a coin, that you don't realize. For example years ago there was a group of early large cents on a Boston bid wall that started at an opening bid of couple hundred dollars. All of them had problems. Usually such a lot would be worth $250 at most, but it sold for over $20,000. :o

Why? One of the coins, which had a huge mark in the right field was a rare Sheldon variety of which only 5 others were known. This piece had more detail on it BY FAR than the then finest known example. It was later net graded as a VF-20 while the second finest known example, which is impounded in the ANS collection grades VG-10.

I don't think you need to tell the buyer his bid is too high. If he's happy with it, let him go with it - its his choice.

I agree. People need to learn on their own, and it's not your place to guide them.

Besides, although it might not be the case here, there might be something about a coin, that you don't realize. For example years ago there was a group of early large cents on a Boston bid wall that started at an opening bid of couple hundred dollars. All of them had problems. Usually such a lot would be worth $250 at most, but it sold for over $20,000. :o

Why? One of the coins, which had a huge mark in the right field was a rare Sheldon variety of which only 5 others were known. This piece had more detail on it BY FAR than the then finest known example. It was later net graded as a VF-20 while the second finest known example, which is impounded in the ANS collection grades VG-10.

You guys are kinda talking me out of mentioning anything to him. I just wanna avoid any potential PITA.

You guys are kinda talking me out of mentioning anything to him. I just wanna avoid any potential PITA.

I would just let it play out and not mention final price. While I admire your honesty, you can't prevent human behaviour. The most lasting lessons are ones in which "you" make mistakes.

The problem is, if you flat out say "you're paying too much" your honesty could backfire and create an issue where none may exist. I think it's best to just maintain a "no questions asked" return policy and let things play out.