• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Two Raw Morgans--Likely Grades?

9 posts in this topic

Here are a couple Morgans, was looking for input on likely grades as those on this board usually nail those well.

Here is an 1878 7TF: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231392136926

I was thinking high end MS63 due to superior strike with some normal hits for grade.

Here is an 1892-S dollar that looks to me like a choice XF, too much friction probably for AU:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1892-S-1-Morgan-Silver-Dollar-/231392129731?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

I checked out a number on certifieds of this date and it is hard to compare apples with apples exactly.

Can't make an assessment from those pictures. It would appear that you're selling these, so if you can post better ones, maybe we could help, or are you and nutmegnumismatics not one in the same?

That's funny. The 48 bit color, 1200 dpi images were good enough for the buyer of the 7TF coin and it sold in a couple hours and on arrival the seasoned collector was very happy with it. The other coin was sent off for grading.

78-S 7TF obverse looks dull. Reverse pick shows some luster. Must be the angle.

92-S: agree looks to have a light cleaning and a lot of wear/contact marks.

I'll be interested to see how they grade.

1892-S EF, cleaned.

1878-S, dull Unc. Might be 63 including the dipping.

RE: "48 bit color, 1200 dpi images"

The on-line image is approx 1600x1600 - effective resolution is 800 dpi, but the image has also been "sharpened" and contrast enhanced. 48 bit color is a waste of memory for on-line stuff.

When it comes to luster, resolution and bit depth don't matter if the lighting is such that it kills the luster. On a flatbed scanner, a dipped out, borderline problem coin will pretty much look the same as a problem-free coin. I'm glad the buyer liked the coin. Sounds like a gamble that paid off.