• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

King Farouk 1854/3 Port Phillip Gold 2 Ounce----didnt sell

6 posts in this topic

This coin didnt sell at the Heritage world coin auction held in New York. It is listed on their website as a post-auction bargain. Price is $430,000.

This coin (pattern) is more rare than a 1913 Lib Nickel or 1804 dollar and it is a large coin yet priced way below them. Do you think it is a good buy(good investment potential)? or do you think it won't do well because it is not hyped enough, hence there is no demand?

2 ounces of pure australian gold

Fabulous piece. What amazing feet on that kangaroo! (A lot like TDN's feet.)

My growing impression about world coins is that MANY are EXCEEDINGLY rare, but there are few enough collectors (yet) that the prices for them are nowhere near what you'd pay for a similar U.S. coin. There were a few coins in the Heritage world coin auction that had less than 5 pieces known that sold for less than $3000. I know of two large and beautiful copper pieces that sold for less than $300, each of which less than 5 are known. It's a strange world.

Hoot

Do you think it is a good buy(good investment potential)? or do you think it won't do well because it is not hyped enough, hence there is no demand?

2 ounces of pure australian gold

For this to turn out to be a good investment some one (or preferably two) very deep pocked collectors of Australian coins would have to emerge between now and then. If Rupert Murdock has two coin collecting heirs then it could be a good investment.

-JamminJ

I had never heard of this "coin" before the auction.

It's not really a real coin, but a private minted token.

Australian coins aren't exactly hot right now.

I've yet to hear of many deep pocketed Australian coin collectors - though there are probably a few.

Also, there is no registry set for this coin, therefore it is worthless.

BTW, if you call Heritage you can get this coin a little cheaper than the official price on their web site. If that few grand makes the difference for you, feel free to send me a thank you coin. wink.gif

BTW, if you call Heritage you can get this coin a little cheaper than the official price on their web site. If that few grand makes the difference for you, feel free to send me a thank you coin.

Greg,

If I had $10 million or so I would buy it grin.gif That would only be 4% of my net worth. No big deal.

My thinking is that as the world becomes ever so richer there will be a World Registry Set comprising the finest and rarest of coins from every cointry. Imagine what that set would look like. It could probably be done for about $100-200 million. That is a lot of money, but there are 1000's of people who could do it.