• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fake coins on Ebay

9 posts in this topic

Anyone else getting tired of the fakes being sold on Ebay? I was anticipating for a week a 1874cc trade dollar I had purchased and when I got it today, it only weighed 18.6 grams. The seller apologized and refunded my money within five minutes of me notifying him, so I am out nothing except more time trying to find another, which may be fake when I get it.

This is the second higher priced coin I have purchased in the last year that was fake. The other one I had to argue with the seller and finally got my money back from Ebay through the buyer protection plan.

One thing I found interesting is I contacted the Secret Service and explained that a particular seller was selling counterfeit coins and the agent told me that they were only interested in currency, not coins.

Might be an uphill battle to get things changed.

One thing I found interesting is I contacted the Secret Service and explained that a particular seller was selling counterfeit coins and the agent told me that they were only interested in currency, not coins.

That's because the hookers they deal with don't take coins!!!!

Actually, that's because their job is to protect the commercial money supply not collectors. That job falls under the local police purview and fraud enforcement. Even enforcement of the HPA is the responsibility of the Federal Trade Commission not the SS.

That's a real bummer you have had that poor of experience on Ebay....TWICE. I guess I have been real lucky. My experience has been great up to now. I have purchased coins over the last four years off Ebay and have found it to be the best market place with respect to inventory, price, and quality for what I have been buying. Of course I have only purchased modern coins for the majority of my purchases. I have probably purchased over 400 coins and probably only sent about 3 or 4 back to the sellers with no issues. I have purchased coins off Ebay all over the world and have had no issues. In fact, my highest priced coins were actually purchased out of Germany. Not going to lie I was a little nervous on the first purchase, but it all worked out well. My most treasured coin was purchased raw from Germany. 1999 PF S1ONZA that I later sent in to be graded and came back a PF70 with a POP of 3.

And the Politicians don't take coins, either...

CAL doh!

Well I can tell you I'm receiving anywhere from 2-5 packages per day of coins I bought off Ebay and I have been for 3+years now. .. I have never recieved a fake or counterfeit anything. That sais, I am not trying to buy CC trade dollars. .. I believe if I was, I wouldn't be looking or wasting time on Ebay for something like that. Sort of seems like common sense that if u r buying something like that, or other known mass produced commonly counterfeited Chinese fakes, that you would avoid buying raw on a open market like Ebay. .. and when you talk about this "uphill battle to change things", make sure you mention how much it has already changed in the last few years. .. specifically on ebay, where I'm pretty sure it has already changed alot, for the better.

Well I can tell you I'm receiving anywhere from 2-5 packages per day of coins I bought off Ebay and I have been for 3+years now. .. I have never recieved a fake or counterfeit anything. That sais, I am not trying to buy CC trade dollars. .. I believe if I was, I wouldn't be looking or wasting time on Ebay for something like that. Sort of seems like common sense that if u r buying something like that, or other known mass produced commonly counterfeited Chinese fakes, that you would avoid buying raw on a open market like Ebay. .. and when you talk about this "uphill battle to change things", make sure you mention how much it has already changed in the last few years. .. specifically on ebay, where I'm pretty sure it has already changed alot, for the better.

I'm not sure to what aspect of Ebay having changed for the better you were referring. But I can tell you that there appear to be more counterfeits than there were a few years ago. And that Ebay does not appear to be nearly as vigilant

in dealing with reports or counterfeit listings.

Ebay derives profit from final value fees.

The only way Ebay gets into trouble is if:

It is widely believed that Ebayers sell fakes. Hence, damaging their reputation.

Therefore,

Ebay has a paradoxial relationship with counterfeit coins, which explains why I need to get all my rare and expensive coins certified by NGC before I can reap a good price on Ebay.

E nuff said.