• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Question of Odd's on Modern Submissions

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone have an educated guess on the odds of getting an MS69 and/or MS69 if you submitted "first strike" ASE's. I hear those insufficiently_thoughtful_persons on CV say how hard it is to get this grade, but population numbers seem to tell a different story.?

Thoughts?

thank you for all the other answers. insane.gifhail.gif

Rant: What the hell is "first strike"? I've seen it used by sellers to try and promote their listings. It's a sales line that is being used by some people to confuse buyers. First Struck means it's the first one struck. First Strike means it is the first strike with presumably more to follow (i.e. first strike of two strikes for proof coins). Either way, it's being misused to fool the public.

For SAE's getting an MS70 is difficult since the mint doesn't exactly take a ton of care in packaging the coins. They are stuck in tubes after being minted. An MS69 is much easier. There used to be some key dates, but after the prices for a few jumped, the submissions poured in and populations shot up. I would guess that if you submitted a box of 500 "untouched" SAE to a grading service you'd get at the very worst 20% graded MS69 and probably a LOT higher.

i do not know anyone would need to see the coin in person

and grade the coin sight seen

based on post striking marks damage to the coin

and other pre strike planchet and minting process distrubances on the coin

now lets say for example you had someone who looked at this coin and was familiar with how the grading service you are going to send it to grades these coins and under 5x magnification there are no disturbances on the coin at all

and with grading being subjective it would be an educated guess at best to say that you are almost guaranteed 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

ms69 893scratchchin-thumb.gif with a shot at ms70

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

michael

Geez! There is only one thing you can believe from the mouths of those telemarketing pimps on QVC..........."That's it for this hour."

They claim that they send their own truck to the loading dock to take delivery of 1,000 boxes of ASE's to ensure getting the "First Strikes". But who knows what inventory system is used at the Mint........"FIFO" or "LIFO".

Then they claim that you only get ONE MS70 out of every one hundred million coins, but, in the same breath, they have 1330 of them to sell at the unbelievably low price of 2X retail.

I really have to wonder about the relationship between QVC and ICG. Is one a parent company or partner company of the other?

Chris

They claim that they send their own truck to the loading dock to take delivery of 1,000 boxes of ASE's to ensure getting the "First Strikes". But who knows what inventory system is used at the Mint........"FIFO" or "LIFO".

Doesn't really matter. It's not like there is a big difference between the first struck and last struck coin. They're striking pure (soft) silver and they are selling them to collectors. The quality is pretty level. I've seen very few poorly struck SAE's.

I really have to wonder about the relationship between QVC and ICG. Is one a parent company or partner company of the other?

There is no relationship between the two as far as I know. ICG might suck as a grading company, but I don't believe that there is any impropriety between the two. QVC also submits to NGC. I'm sure they would submit to PCGS if they could get their coins graded within 3 months.