• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1922 lincoln wheat

13 posts in this topic

Just when I thought I understood a few things, something else pops up. I was re-reading some info that I printed from online and discovered the 1922 penny "no D (no mint mark below the date) and I thought if there isn't a mint mark, it means it was minted in Philadelphia. Help me here please! :frustrated:

No Lincoln Wheat cents dated 1922 were minted at Philidelphia that year. The 1922 "No D" Lincoln Wheat Cent was caused by excessive die polishing which effaced the mintmark from the die.

sigh....I thought it was something like that...but trying to remember and knowing for sure....

A good indicator of knowing if those coins are out there is Ebay...I check there before I get too excited over a coin. If I see it there, I know I don't have a rare coin...and then I see how long it has been posted and I see other posts in regards to the same coin...then I say oh well,....

by the way, I just visited your website. I have an 1899 coin just like the liberty coin on your website but it is worn on the high points. It's silver and black. I guess from being old. I thought it was pretty because it's silver and black but, it's junk silver....

OK, let's clear something up. Were all these minted in Philadelphia and just shipped to Denver? Was Denver just a distribution point for all these, the "Ds," "Weak Ds," and "No Ds?"

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Roger that. All 7+ million 1922 cents were struck at Denver in January-February, and the Treasury drew from its backlogged inventory of earlier dates for the remainder of the year.

A recession in 1921-22 eliminated the need for additional coinage of all denominations. Silver dollars and double eagles were coined in large numbers for purposes other than general circulation and were thus not affected by the recession.

One dealer I knew years ago (He as since passed on.) speculated to me that there could be other "PLAIN" dates of Lincoln Cents out there because of the generally low quality of cents that were made in the 1920s. In other words there might be a 1923-D cent with no mint mark that would called a Philadelphia coin because Philly did make cents that year.

It might sound far-fetched, but think about it. There are some Charlotte gold coins from the 1850s that have virtually invisible mint marks, and the "Weak D" 1911-D quarter eagle is also known.

The 1922 Plain Cent was made from badly worn dies that needed to be replaced. They were not replaced because the Philadelphia Mint, which made all of the dies until some years ago, was tied up making dies from the new Peace Dollar, which had been mandated to be made in large quantities. Silver dollar dies wear out faster because it takes a lot of pressure to strike those large coins.

Well, I be knocked out of my socks!! Thanks for the info....I learn something new everyday. I think I came across some 1922 while rolling up pennies and since there wasn't a MM I assumed it was Philadelphia....if it's worth anything I will unroll the three rolls I have....it's just that when I check Ebay, some coins that are considered rare and not moving and there are so many more coins of the same type. I think it's best to judge by the slab and if they have been graded...it's a good indicator of how rare these coins are even if they are among the lists of rare coins. If they are so rare, why aren't they being sold? I ask myself that question and wonder

This will confuse you even further. There are three varieties of the 1922 Plain Cent. By far the most desirable one is the "strong reverse" piece, which has a full sharp reverse paired with the usually mushy obverse. I'm not sure if it is still true, but used to be only variety that the leading third party grading services would accept.

One dealer I knew years ago (He as since passed on.) speculated to me that there could be other "PLAIN" dates of Lincoln Cents out there because of the generally low quality of cents that were made in the 1920s. In other words there might be a 1923-D cent with no mint mark that would called a Philadelphia coin because Philly did make cents that year.

It might sound far-fetched, but think about it. There are some Charlotte gold coins from the 1850s that have virtually invisible mint marks, and the "Weak D" 1911-D quarter eagle is also known.

There are also 1968, 69, and 70 nickels without mintmarks caused by die wear/fill. Philadelphia did not make any five cent pieces those years but no one ever pays any attention to the 68, 69, and 70 "plain" nickels.