• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is the MS70 look stable

34 posts in this topic

If the colors continue to change like in the examples, why do it?

Personally, not one of the originals benefited from treatment in whatever was used.

Totally agree, I only did these experiments on coppers with little value in order to see if I could generate a stable blue color that some claim is the result of MS70 application on some coins with value - i.e. the 'blue' proof IHC's etc. I could not, the one old coin that went blue, the blue went away with time as documented here. Hence in my view, these experiments prove that coppers with spectacular colored toning is not the result of application with MS70 - this is simply an old wives tale passed down by so-called expert numismatists with no background or evidence to support their claims. That was the point of this Roger. I would never doctor a coin with MS70 that was rare or valuable - I want my coins to be original as possible.

Best, HT

Bogus conclusion.

lol:roflmao:

I agree your thoughts and results are totally laughable, glad you do understand that.

Actually the laughable part is anything you post.

Best, HT

Can you post a pic of your 2 coins?

How long have they been stable?

I find it very difficult to find blue toned wheats at any discount but that my be because I am looking at pre 1920 and already holdered

I don't remember when I submitted those two but sometime around '03 or '04 as that was when I was doing some chemistry experiments. Only have the pic of this one, not sure if I sent the other out for pics or not. I have shown this one before and received alot of grief from Rick Snow on one occasion, I still post it ATS just for Rick now and again lol. It's my theory that coins like this one, which graded MS65BN if memory serves correct, are rather easy to slide through due to the low value. Heck back then there were almost no collectors of BN Lincolns much less the treated ones. That all seemed to change when lots of blue toned IHC's started to show up; many thought they were pretty and were bringing some high prices until it was decided that many if not most had been created. Of course now with the demand for color even these treated coins both old and modern are seeing some high prices paid.

1934dcobvmd_zps7374b7fb.jpg

1934dcrevmd_zps3d85ffb9.jpg

1st I like this coin very much

2nd your original post in 06 said this coin turned due to acetone. I am assuming your memory was more fresh then.

It probably did not turn blue, it probably removed gunk and the toning shown through, coins can't turn in acetone just like they can't turn in MS70. Acetone is a solvent than can remove organic gunk. MS70 is an oxidizing detergent that removes organic gunk. Neither can 'react' with metal.

Best, HT