• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The publications to live by

14 posts in this topic

Are there any books/publications/resources you couldn't live without in the world of coin collecting? Maybe even specific authors you have faith in more than others? Are some books worth the investment more than others? Are there books to avoid? Thanks for your help and guidance :)

There is no other book out there like Roger W. Burdette's recent work From Mine to Mint. If you want to know about the coining process, literally from mining of metals to all aspects of minting coins, you should read this book. It should be Numismatics 101 reading for anyone interested in the hobby. Roger posts on this forum as "RWB" and is likely the most knowledgeable numismatist (past or present) regarding US Mint history and minting processes.

There is no other book out there like Roger W. Burdette's recent work From Mine to Mint. If you want to know about the coining process, literally from mining of metals to all aspects of minting coins, you should read this book. It should be Numismatics 101 reading for anyone interested in the hobby. Roger posts on this forum as "RWB" and is likely the most knowledgeable numismatist (past or present) regarding US Mint history and minting processes.

I'll second that!

Chris

Geee...Thanks! (Rather embarrassed by the praise.)

Now I know who bought the two copies.... :)

It was fun to work on a "guy book" -- one about machines and equipment and nuts and bolts; playing chemist and alchemist.

We collectors put a lot of effort into describing and appreciating our coins, but also forget that a huge amount of backbreaking work went into manufacturing the things.

There are a lot of good numismatic books out there and it's a pretty big field.

Unless you just want a list of several hundred books, perhaps you could suggest some specific areas in which you're interested.

Geee...Thanks! (Rather embarrassed by the praise.)

Now I know who bought the two copies.... :)

It was fun to work on a "guy book" -- one about machines and equipment and nuts and bolts; playing chemist and alchemist.

We collectors put a lot of effort into describing and appreciating our coins, but also forget that a huge amount of backbreaking work went into manufacturing the things.

Yep! If I lived back then and had to push those flat cars around that were loaded down with gold, I would have.......ummm........never mind.

Chris

important books to understand the art of coin grading,the market and how it works

buy and read these before anything else

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Grading-Counterfeit-Detection-Edition/dp/0375720502

http://www.amazon.com/Experts-Guide-Collecting-Investing-Coins/dp/0794821782

after these get back to me and i can offer you more suggestions depending on what you want to collect

and the history thereof

Could I just get that list of several hundred books ;) Ok, maybe not. But if I had to narrow it down a little, but not much, I'd have to narrow it down to books needed to buy a collection. I'd love to expand from there, but this is where I'm really nervous with my knowledge. A local bank has estate sales occasionally and invites the public in to bid on the entire collection...no piecing it out. I have gotten a few and the only time I'm not sure is Key date coins, and their authenticity. I sometimes put too much trust in the previous collector. My most recent, although inexpensive, mistake came from three fake 1849 california gold tokens. I was pretty sure they were good based on examples I'd seen(I compared with the fakes in hand), but every dealer I've taken them to says fake. So aside from just becoming smarter across the board, I could focus on identifying fake coins and identifying varieties. I'm sure that really didn't narrow anything down, sorry. :)

Could I just get that list of several hundred books ;) Ok, maybe not. But if I had to narrow it down a little, but not much, I'd have to narrow it down to books needed to buy a collection. I'd love to expand from there, but this is where I'm really nervous with my knowledge. A local bank has estate sales occasionally and invites the public in to bid on the entire collection...no piecing it out. I have gotten a few and the only time I'm not sure is Key date coins, and their authenticity. I sometimes put too much trust in the previous collector. My most recent, although inexpensive, mistake came from three fake 1849 california gold tokens. I was pretty sure they were good based on examples I'd seen(I compared with the fakes in hand), but every dealer I've taken them to says fake. So aside from just becoming smarter across the board, I could focus on identifying fake coins and identifying varieties. I'm sure that really didn't narrow anything down, sorry. :)

The hardest part about counterfeit detection is knowing what an authentic coin is supposed to look like.

Chris