• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unusual looking 1836 QE

7 posts in this topic

For sale on the Heritage store on eBay:

1836 Classic QE

It's PCGS MS-64. The centers of both sides have a silvery patina that I have not seen before on gold coins. I am guessing that it is a photographic aritifact, but I can't explain it. Any ideas? (And I am not implying that there is anything wrong with the coin).

It looks to be a very nice coin with good color to me. (shrug)

jom

+1

Re: Non-uniform patina on gold in general:

To the OP, remember that the alloys were sometimes not mixed uniformly through out and sometimes other metals (including copper and silver that were part of the alloy) can accumulate near the surface and cause the pieces to tone. I think the coin is attractive.

In looking through the Heritage archives for this date, I don't find any other coin that comes close to looking like this one (other than 2 previous auction appearances by this particular coin). It may be unique in its appearance.

What are you using as your search criteria? You shouldn't limit your search to just 1836 as this effect can been seen on other coins from several dates and series to varying degrees, so I am betting that your search is too rigid. And I have examined coins that demonstrated this effect to a lesser degree that CACed from this period and even much later. I had a gold dollar with a deep gold tone and similar effect under the wreath on the reverse that I submitted to PCGS that came back MS66 and it CACed.

i can only guesstimate by the photo as i have not seen this coin in hand sight seen

but it is an improper alloy mixture and i have seen it before on a classic head quarter eagle and it is quite unusual

but it is most often seen on type 3 later date one dollar gold pieces

i think again from the photo that it is a beautiful original coin with an improper alloy mixture........................... as made

From some of the responses, some of you seem to be assuming that I am criticizing the coin or implying that it was in some way "messed with." I thought I made it clear in the op that I am not. I was simply requesting information from people more familiar with mint state early gold than I am.

I appreciate the information and have a better understanding of the range of appearances of these coins.

Thanks for the input.